Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vipul Patel 18 posts 37 karma points
    Dec 09, 2009 @ 12:47
    Vipul Patel

Umbraco search

Umbraco need a search funtionality oob which can search media files like pdfs and doc files, have tried xslt search and umbsearch2, both have their own issues.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Dec 09, 2009 @ 13:52
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Vipul,

apparantly you have very specific needs for search-functionality. Currently there are a few quite good packages available which provide search-functionality.

Being able to search pdf-files and doc-files is dependant of the software installed on the server and can never work OOB in umbraco. If that (3rd-party) software isn't installed on the server, then it simply wont work. Embedding that software into umbraco is not an option since not many providers allow users to install their own software.

From what I understood in an earlier post, I think umbSearch2 would pretty much suit your needs. If it doesn't, why don't you contact the creators (Axendo) and try to get your needs embedded in the package (and thus be beneficial for others as well)?

If you can't work it out, well, I guess you have to create a package yourself (but from what I've read you're not into that) or find another CMS that does provide your (very specific) needs OOB.

Hope this helps,

Peter

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Dec 09, 2009 @ 22:26
    Aaron Powell

Can people please use the search on the forum. The topic of searching in Umbraco comes up very regularly and there are quite a few good responses.

Umbraco 4.1 will have a good Lucene.NET indexer, which I'm sure there are PDF and Office plugins available for.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft