Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• NightWolf 41 posts 44 karma points
    Oct 21, 2009 @ 23:45
    NightWolf

When to use existing sections vs creating a custom section

As part of my website I would like to have a help system/knowledgebase (all the same thing). I was thinking about creating this in a custom section and setting it up to use a subdomain.

After some thinking I would require similar functionality to the content section and document type, I just don't want to make it complex to manage the content section.

What are peoples thoughts on this, is there a prefered method or a right and wrong way?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 22, 2009 @ 00:16
    Aaron Powell

Something that's only for back-office users to edit/ view, or is it something that you want publicly visible?

You're possibly going to want to create your own custom Application for this, but that doesn't mean you can't use the existing trees. It wont be easy to restrict the Document Type tree to only your particular 'help document types' though, you'd probably have to overload it yourself.

v4.1 will make this easier, there's a proxy class which allows for dynamically adding trees, but it's still in beta and I'm yet to write any documentation on how to use it :P

• NightWolf 41 posts 44 karma points
    Oct 22, 2009 @ 00:34
    NightWolf

It will be publicly visible pages but editable only to people logged into Umbraco. I think I might give creating a custom section a go and replicating a simple content tree and see how that plays out, can you see a problem with this?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 22, 2009 @ 01:27
    Aaron Powell

That seems excessive if it's for public users. You can just use the standard Umbraco and if you have people who are only allowed to edit help specify that in their user permissions

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft