Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sudipta Das 13 posts 104 karma points
    Jul 25, 2013 @ 03:30
    Sudipta Das

Unable to run multiple sites in one Umbraco Installation

Hi,

My client has a website for Australia running on Umbraco 4.6.2 which he wants to duplicate and run as a seperate website for New Zealand. Most of the content is going to be same except for few pages like contact us and some external links.

The task looked simple and I wanted to test (in development system) the concept of running multiple websites from one Umbraco installation. As stated in the below tutorial, I copied the top level node in content section and named it "Home NZ". Then changed host headers for "Home AU" and "Home NZ". I configured my IIS Express to run two websites using the different host headers and then published both the nodes. I changed some content (some plain text) on contact us pages in AU and NZ sites so that I can ensure that right content is being picked up.

Now came the issue, both the AU and NZ domains were up and running but NZ site will always show content from AU section. Links on NZ site will take me to the pages in AU domain (relative paths should take me to NZ pages).

Initially I thought the issue is at the IIS Express, and tried to resolve it. I did shout down the AU site and ran only NZ site but still showing AU content; used different port number, used no port number (run sites on default port 80) with same result. I have now hit the roadblock and don't know what to check next.

The links I followed:

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/running-multiple-sites.aspx

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/recommendations/recommended-reading-for-web-developers/webmatrix-running-multiple-sites-in-one-umbraco-instance

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/running-multiple-websites-on-one-umbraco-installation

http://forums.asp.net/t/1924582.aspx/1?Run+two+websites+with+different+host+name+in+IISExpress+

Any help would be gladly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sudipta

• Aneesh 10 posts 29 karma points
    Jul 25, 2013 @ 06:04
    Aneesh

HI Sudipta,

Hope you have applied the hostname on the root level of your site and also what are links to a page within Aus content.

Can you check whether both the page link i.e "link to document" and "Alternative link" have domain prefixes? If not then IIS will match any page with any domain name supplied to it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jul 25, 2013 @ 07:57
    Sudipta Das

Thanks for your response Aneesh. Both the "link to document" and "Alternative Link" appears with domain prefixes. But whenever I try to visit any URL for NZ site it takes me to the AU based URL. 

• Aneesh 10 posts 29 karma points
    Jul 25, 2013 @ 08:39
    Aneesh

Oh then I guess you have setup the multisite perfectly and it's the geo-targetting that's redirecting you to the aus site based on your geo-location. Try disabling your geo-target code and check your NZ site

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 25, 2013 @ 08:42
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi Sudipta,

Is this the case for all of your links (menu, etcetera) or just for a few? I guess that if you're using a node picker for defining the links the nodes that are picked maybe will still link to the original site.

Hope it helps,

Jeffrey

Jul 26, 2013 @ 07:47
    Sudipta Das

Thank you all for your responses. The problem was neither in Umbraco nor in IIS Express setup. It was a custom written piece of code that was causing all the havoc. Classic example of when you takeover a software written by someone else.

Thanks,

Sudipta 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft