Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Crichton 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:30
    Robert Crichton

Umbraco 5 - adding content dynamically from 3rd party db

Hi All

I'm an Umbraco newbie so please forgive me when I ask dumb questions.  I've been looking for answers to this but guess I may not know the right keywords.

Here is what I want to achieve:

I'd like part of my Umbraco driven site to have content pages whose data is sourced from a 3rd party dynamically. For instance this may be news items.  When news items are created they would become available in the frontend but not necessarily in the backoffice.  So for instance we may have a URL like "/news/article-10/cat-got-stuck-in-tree" but there wouldn't have been a page created in the backoffice CMS that matches that - at least not manually. However the news entities should be templated like they are a doc-type in Umbraco.

It should also be possible to create a CMS page that does things like listing news items perhaps based on some criteria e.g. sporting news, local news etc.

I've read a lot about the Hive and think that this may be the direction I need to take.  Or perhaps my own package with it's own controller.  But in either case I haven't found an example that matches my scenario.

Can anyone point me at an appropriate example or just point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in anticipation, Rob

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft