Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Allen 50 posts 71 karma points
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 16:55
    Tom Allen

Custom datatype - get clicked image co-ords - how?

Having never built a custom datatype before, I need to create something to save the co-ordinates of a mouse click on a static image. The image will always be the same. I just need to get the x/y pixel co-ordinates that are clicked. It could be as simple as having the image displayed, a textbox beneath, and a javascript routine to insert the values x,y into the textbox, the contents of which are then saved.

What would be the simplest way of achieving this?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 17:31
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Tom,

Given this will be your first custom data-type, initial advice is small steps - and be free to ask any questions!

Tim Geyssens has a good presentation called "Master of DataTypes" ... with a follow-up blog post on "UserControlWrapper and storing parseable xml data". (This depends on whether you'd like to store the data/value as XML or comma-separated?)

With the editor UI, see what others have done for this ... a quick Google search (for "jquery image co-ordinates") found this: getting the X/Y coordinates of a mouse click on an image with jQuery, demo here.

Cheers, Lee.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 05, 2013 @ 12:13
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Tom,

Curious, did you ever get a solution for this? As funnily enough, I need the similar functionality on my current project.

Thanks, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft