Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Allen 50 posts 71 karma points
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 11:10
    Tom Allen

Member tracking, notification emails and list export

Hi all

I'm a fairly experienced .NET developer, and have built the front end of a big site in Umbraco. Now I need to extend the back end and I'm not sure where to start hooking into the CMS.

I need to do the following:

• Create a Member registration form which sends a system-generated password in an email notification (normally I'd just write a front end user control to do this - is that best practice?)
    • Track clickthroughs to individual downloads (which are stored as protected nodes) by logged-in Members
    • Export an XLS spreadsheet of download tracking data from the Members backend area
    • Track and log Member logins (login count and last login datetime)
    • Export an XLS spreadsheet of all Members in the system, including all their custom fields and the aforementioned login tracking data from the Members backend area
    • Generate email notifications to Members when the admin changes their Member Group membership
    If someone could help me with where to start, that would be really appreciated - particularly how to hook into the Membership provider to track and store login data (should this be part of their Profile?), and how to export out of that (ideally XLS but CSV would work too), and where to hook in to events to send notification emails to Members. I assume that I can simply put in usercontrols into the backend for viewing/downloading this data?
    Thanks in advance!

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 11:59
    Richard Soeteman

HI Tom,

For the registration you can use a default Asp.net registration usercontrol. I assume you want to create a usercontrol for the Front-end of your website? But it's a best practise indeed.

Member data export

When you add an extra property on your member type you can increase that number during logging based on the loggedIn event on the login control. I've made a memberexport package that can export all member data including custom properties to a csv file. More info and a screencast can be found at http://memberexport.soetemansoftware.nl/ MemberExport is free to use up to 200 members

Protected download tracking

With protected downloads I assume you mean real documents like pdf, word etc, By default these documents are not protected. when you know the url you can still open them,Even when they are added on a protected content node. I made a Media Protect package that will protect documents added on prtoected nodes or you can protect the media library in the same way you protect content.

When you use the build in logging functionality of Media protect every request to a protected will be stored in a sql server table with user information. Currently it can't export the data yet (I like that feature so will create it and expect an update soon :)) More info about Media protect, a screencast or free Trial can be found at http://mediaprotect.soetemansoftware.nl/

To send notifications based on group assignment you can use the Umbraco event system. Please check out this  Event overview Wiki I wrote and look at the Member events. Also have a look at this Wiki how to work with events in Umbraco.

Hope this helps you and please let me know if you need more info.

Cheers,

Richard

Oct 27, 2011 @ 15:06
    Tom Allen

Hi Richard,

Thanks for this information. I'll check out your Media Protect package and see if it fits the bill.

Oct 27, 2011 @ 15:07
    Tom Allen

In the meantime, I'd appreciate some assistance with where to start on this:

• Track and log Member logins (login count and last login datetime)
    • Export an XLS spreadsheet of all Members in the system, including all their custom fields and the aforementioned login tracking data from the Members backend area
    • Generate email notifications to Members when the admin changes their Member Group membership
    Oct 27, 2011 @ 17:38
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Tom,

Did you already check the event system to generate an email notification when the admin change membership? Your other question triggered me to write a blogpost about exporting login information, will require MemberExport. Will write that one soon.

Cheers,

Richard

Nov 01, 2011 @ 15:59
    Tom Allen

Hi Richard

Thanks once again. I would gladly purchase MediaProtect if it was able to export protected media tracking data to a spreadsheet. But until then it makes more sense for me to write my own solution.

It looks like I'll buy a license for MemberExport. A future feature to track and export login data (last login/login count) would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Tom

Nov 01, 2011 @ 17:43
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Tom,

Sorry for not getting back earlier. Actually the log function is already working for Media Protect, just need to find the time to Package it. Kind of snowed under at the moment. I will be at the UK Festival next Friday. If you are there I can show you otherwise I can send the package for test. Only need your email address. and the blogpost for member logging  is on its way

Cheers,

Richard

Nov 02, 2011 @ 20:54
    Tom Allen

Wish I'd known about the UK event - I'm out of London that day.

I've written a simple event handler to update Member login count / last login properties using OnLoggedIn, as you suggested, so that's sorted. Thank you.

Purchasing MemberExport as I type.

Finally, I'd like to try your updated MediaProtect package with log export to see if it'll do the job - my email is tom.r.allen at g mail dot co m.

Cheers!

Tom

Nov 08, 2011 @ 17:29
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay in my response. Was attending the UK Festival last week. I've implemented the export log to csv file option in the latest version of Media Protect. When installed and logging enabled just hit the csv icon.

You can download the updated media protect package here.

Thanks,

Richard

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 18:50
    Barry Fogarty

Hi Tom - might be too late for you now but just so you know, you can hook up a last login property automatically by declaring something like the following on your member provider:

umbracoLastLoginPropertyTypeAlias="lastLogin"

(you need to create the lastLogin property (label) on yourt member type too).  Then the information is automatically stored.

There are a few other handy properties on the Umbraoc membership provider - there is a wiki entry here:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/membership-providers/umbracomembershipprovider-properties

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft