Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan Mahoney 6 posts 26 karma points
    Oct 18, 2011 @ 10:10
    Jonathan Mahoney

Customizing TinyMCE output

Hi there,

We want to implement a Markdown editor for Umbraco, as our users find this more intuitive - we took a look at this project, however the problem is that not only does it leave HTML in (unescaped) - it also has no content or media picker helpers for adding links, etc. 

Therefore I think a solution would be to:

• Keep the TinyMCE editor
    • Disable all html tags (using its config file)
    • Run the publishing of content through MarkdownSharp
    Has anyone done anything similar, and can anyone confirm what part of the Umbraco source I'd need to look at to amend how TinyMCE content is published?
    Many thanks

• Dan Okkels Brendstrup 101 posts 197 karma points
    Nov 09, 2011 @ 15:04
    Dan Okkels Brendstrup

I would enthusiastically applaud any attempts at improved Markdown support in Umbraco. 

TinyMCE is a horrible mess of browser-sniffing javascript, so I can't see that you can ever build a succesful Markdown editor on top of that. Lee Kelleher's Markdown Editor package is a really good start, but as you rightly note, it needs content picker support in order to be truly useful. Wouldn't it be easier to add them, rather than trying to disable the WYSIWYG part of TinyMCE -- which would basically just leave you with a text area?

I'm not sure what you mean about the Markdown editorleaving unescaped HTML in. That is a fundamental part of the "spec":

"For any markup that is not covered by Markdown’s syntax, you simply use HTML itself. There’s no need to preface it or delimit it to indicate that you’re switching from Markdown to HTML; you just use the tags."

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#html

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft