Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• seanrock 241 posts 462 karma points
    Jun 05, 2009 @ 23:06
    seanrock

custom data types

Hello

i'd like to know if the following is possible.

I want to create a datatype that represents a 'banner' on a page. The banner includes an image as well as a name and a url to go to when the image is clicked. I want to group the properties to make it simple for the content editors to update these.

I've had a look at the custom data type tutorial here http://www.nibble.be/?p=50 however i didn't have much luck. i created the custom control and added some public properties that represented the various properties to be set on the content page such as name, url and image file. i added this to the document type but on the content page the the tab i added my custom data type to is empty except for the name i gave it and the description. none of the properties are visible. i've ensured that the parameters tab of the macro editor correct lists the properties i've added.

Thanks
    Sean

• Ulrik Knudsen 14 posts 25 karma points
    Jun 06, 2009 @ 00:41
    Ulrik Knudsen

Hi Sean

Everything is possible ;-) another approach could be:

Group the properties for the 'banner' in a document type.

Create a 'banner folder' in the content tree where the banner documents are stored. Hide this from navigation, it's only for data storage.

Create a datatype using the built-in Ultimate Picker datatype. Use the 'banner folder' id as parent node id.

This makes it possible for the editor to select a 'banner' from the folder.

To get the selected 'banner' node use something like:

[code]
    [/code]

I hope this makes sense.

Best regards
    Ulrik

Jun 06, 2009 @ 09:02
    seanrock

Hi Ulrik and thanks for your response. This is probably beyond my current knowledge of umbraco (i've only started using it a few days now) but i will try and see if i can accomplish this.

Thanks
    Sean

Jun 09, 2009 @ 17:05
    seanrock

so is this a possible limitation of umbraco? to create a 'complex' datatype that includes several fields.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Jun 09, 2009 @ 17:19
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Hi,

I'm not sure a custom datatype is the best approach here. It takes some time to develop and test a datatype. (I know because the calendar I made basically IS a custom datatype)

Quickest way to achieve what you want is to add an extra tab to the document-type and then add the 3 properties on that tab.
    At least, this would be the way I would do it.

HTH,
    PeterD

Jun 09, 2009 @ 17:35
    seanrock

Yes i was thinking the same thing. thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft