Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• shanem 39 posts 93 karma points
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 20:03
    shanem

Searching multiple indexes with Examine

I have 2 custom index sets generating with Examine in Umbraco 4.7RC. They both index all the fields I want correctly. When it comes to searching I select the provider using this line of code:

var criteria = ExamineManager.Instance.SearchProviderCollection[indexName].CreateSearchCriteria(IndexTypes.Content, BooleanOperation.Or);

I'm assuming that this should select the index search provider I specify in the variable indexName? But this doesn't happen as I only ever get results back for the correct index when I change the defaultProvider value in ExamineSettings.config.

How do you search multiple indexes? Examine seems to only use the defaultProvider and ignores the rest.

• Gerty Engrie 130 posts 489 karma points c-trib
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 22:01
    Gerty Engrie

You could for example:

var searchProvider = ExamineManager.Instance.SearchProviderCollection["RegularSearcher"];
    //RegularSearcher & PDFSearcher are the names you set up in the <ExamineSearchProviders settings in ExamineSettings.config
    var searchProviderPdf = ExamineManager.Instance.SearchProviderCollection["PDFSearcher"];

IEnumerable<SearchResult> searchResultsAll = searchProvider.Search(searchstring,true);
    searchResultsAll = searchResultsAll.Concat(searchProviderPdf.Search(searchstring,true));

searchResultsAll = searchResultsAll.OrderByDescending(n => n.Score);
  • Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 08:37
    Ismail Mayat

Guys,

The latest version of examine has multi index search provider, not used it myself but its there see http://examine.codeplex.com/releases/view/62313

Regards

Ismail

Mar 30, 2011 @ 10:13
    shanem

Thank you for the replies. I don't want to combine the search results I am just trying to search each index seperatley. So I have MethodA which searches IndexA and returns results, and MethodB which searches IndexB and returns results. It seems if MethodA uses SearcherA I get the IndexA results, but when MethobB uses SearcherB I get no results. MethodB will only return results if I change the defaultProvider field to SearcherB, but then MethodA doesn't return any results.

Both Lucene queries generated in C# return results in Luke.

I'm going to update to Umbraco 4.7 final and make sure I have the latest Examine dll. I still think you should be able to search 2 indexes with 2 different providers and get back 2 different results, or am I mistaken?

Looking forward to your response :)

Mar 30, 2011 @ 10:50
    shanem

Here is my method where I pass in the indexName (plus other parameters)

public static IEnumerable<SearchResult> Search(string indexName, string[] searchTerms, string[] fields, string[] nodeTypeAliases)
            {
                IEnumerable<SearchResult> results = null;

if (searchTerms != null)
                {
                    // Make sure there are no empty search terms.
                    var nonEmptySearchTerms = searchTerms.Where(x => !string.IsNullOrEmpty(x));
                    if (nonEmptySearchTerms.Count() > 0)
                    {
                        // Get the search criteria by using our searcher provider and looking only in the content tree of Umbraco.
                        var criteria = ExamineManager.Instance.SearchProviderCollection[indexName].CreateSearchCriteria(IndexTypes.Content, BooleanOperation.Or);

// Build the search query.
                        Examine.SearchCriteria.IBooleanOperation query = null;                    
                        foreach (var searchTerm in nonEmptySearchTerms)
                        {
                            // Add search fields.
                            foreach (var field in fields)
                            {
                                query = query == null ? criteria.Field(field, searchTerm.Escape().Value.MultipleCharacterWildcard()) :
                                    query.Or().Field(field, searchTerm.Escape().Value.MultipleCharacterWildcard());
                            }
                        }

// Perform the search.
                        results = ExamineManager.Instance.Search(query.Compile());
                        results = results.OrderByDescending(x => x.Score); // Relevance.

// TODO: Do this in the query not sure how yet?
                        if (nodeTypeAliases != null)
                        {
                            results = results.Where(x => nodeTypeAliases.Contains(x.Fields["nodeTypeAlias"]));
                        }
                    }
                }

return results;
            }
  • Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 11:22
    Stephen

We have a very similar method, and... it just work (latest 4.7), ie it picks results for the selected index. But I remember facing a similar issue in the past. Can you check that you do have the latest Examine DLLs?

Mar 30, 2011 @ 15:13
    shanem

I tried to upgrade from 4.7RC to 4.7 final. The upgrade all works except umbraco.MacroEngines.dll. I get this message on all my Razor scripts:

Error loading Razor Script *.cshtml Method not found: 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1 umbraco.MacroEngines.DynamicNodeList.get_Items()'.

If I use the 4.7RC umbraco.MacroEngines.dll it works.

umbraco.MacroEngines.dll 4.7RC (version 1.0.0.0, size 89Kb) - this works!
    umbraco.MacroEngines.dll 4.7 (version 1.0.0.0, size 97Kb) - this doesn't work!

Any one else have this problem?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 16:41
    Morten Bock

You have to specify which searcher to search. Not only to create the query:

ISearchResults searchResults = ExamineManager.Instance.SearchProviderCollection["MySearcher"].Search(query.Compile());

Mar 30, 2011 @ 16:57
    shanem

That works! Quite obvious - thank you :)

Any ideas on the umbraco.MacroEngines.dll error I'm expriencing updating?

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 17:04
    Stephen

@Morten: we indeed do that, and I failed to spot the difference... you're the boss!

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 22:43
    Morten Bock

Glad it worked. I don't have an answer on the razor issue. sorry.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft