Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martijn van der Put 44 posts 65 karma points
    Apr 02, 2010 @ 00:15
    Martijn van der Put

performance issues when using d.getProperty()

Hello,

i'm creating a function that is importing several thousands of items from an external provider.

I'm having 2 performance issues which make my function unusable cause it takes an average of 10 seconds per item to import.
    The first bottleneck is the document.getProperty() method. I create a new document and fill 11 properties by using this code: doc.getProperty("link").Value = link;
    This takes about 3 to 4 seconds in total for each item.

The second bottleneck is the publish method: myDocument.Publish(new User(0));
    This takes about 6 seconds for each item.

Is there a way to improve the performance of both of these methods to an acceptable time?

Apr 02, 2010 @ 02:07
    Martijn van der Put

Update: the second bottleneck (myDocment.Publish()) is already resolved. Modified it to publish only when import is done and publish root-item and all subitems.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Apr 02, 2010 @ 03:57
    Aaron Powell

Every time you access a property via getProperty it does a database lookup, so you're actually accessing the database to get the property reference, and then you access the database again when you assign the Value to it.

Apr 02, 2010 @ 11:17
    Martijn van der Put

That was what I already thought :(

Is there a way to work around this to increase performance? For example update properties in a different way or update them all and only write to the database after the last update?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Apr 02, 2010 @ 12:48
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Martijn,

When developing CMSImport I ran into the same issues. I managed to get this a little bit better. There are a several things that get in the way when importing more than 1000 items.

1. The document cache. You can disable this by setting the ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache setting in the UmbracoSettings.config file to false.

2. Lucene. You need to disable indexing otherwise Lucene will throw a bunch of errors. Check out this post of Morten

With this you get a better performance. I don't say its perfect but it's a lot better. Your suggestions for the work arround will not work in the current version of Umbraco since it's updating the database directly when the property gets set.

Cheers,

Richard

Apr 02, 2010 @ 16:02
    Martijn van der Put

Richard, thanks for the tips. I implemented both modifications and performance is increased, allthough not as much as I want, but I'm now down to 3 to 4 seconds per imported item. For an import of for example 1500 items it is still not acceptible cause it takes about one hour and a half.

I'm now thinking of creating a custom method to update all the properties of an item at once, but that would probably involve overruling the Umbraco datalayer and that might not be wise to do....

Apr 02, 2010 @ 17:09
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Martijn,

I've imported 10000 items faster then that.. How many properties do you have on your doctype? Maybe disable the whole cache by setting XmlCacheEnabled to false, also in the UmbracoSettings.config .

I won't go the custom method If I was you. Also it will not matter if you change the datalayer because a higher level object triggers the save not the datalayer itself

Cheers,

Richard

Apr 02, 2010 @ 21:38
    Martijn van der Put

My doctype has only 11 properties. That's not incredibly much.

I will try disabling the whole cache setting and see if it makes any difference.
    What should be a normal timespan for an import of about 1500 items and 11 properties per item?

I am using MySQL for Umbraco so maybe the database also has a little share in the performance issue.

Apr 02, 2010 @ 22:33
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Martijn,

That should take less than 5 minutes I think. Didn't test it on Mysql though.

Cheers,

Richard

Apr 02, 2010 @ 23:44
    Martijn van der Put

Richard,

thanks for your tips. Unfortunatelydisabling the whole cache didn't help. I'm going to test it with a different MySQL server or maybe MS SQL if the performance isn't improving. See if I can resolve this issue.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft