Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• IanS 22 posts 65 karma points
    Feb 23, 2015 @ 17:50
    IanS

Partial view macro not working in RTE - Error is Failed to retrieve macro result for macro with alias

I have a simple partial view macro that I'm using to render YouTube embed code in to the RTE.  When I add it though, I get an error "Failed to retrieve macro result for macro with alias". In the logs I get an error "Error loading Partial View (file: ~/Views/MacroPartials/YouTubeVideo.cshtml). Exception: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: content"

The macro code is:

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Macros.PartialViewMacroPage
    @{
        string videoID = (string)@Model.MacroParameters["videoID"];
    }
    <div class="iframe-wrapper"><iframe src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/@videoID"></iframe></div>

Any ideas what is going wrong.  It often works ok if I publish straight away but always fails on first load or when I preview it. 

Using Umbraco version 7.1.4

Thanks!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 23, 2015 @ 17:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ian

Are you using MVC or Webforms? And have you tried having a look in the /App_Data/Logs file? It should contain more detailed information about the specific error related to the macro.

/Jan

Feb 23, 2015 @ 17:56
    IanS

Using MVC. The more detailed message from the logs is the 2nd one shown above.

Thanks

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 23, 2015 @ 18:18
    Dennis Aaen

Hi IanS,

Is there a specific reason why you need to use a partial view macro in the RTE to show a YouTube video, instead of you use the built in embed function in the RTE. It can take YouTube videos.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Feb 23, 2015 @ 18:24
    IanS

Hi Dennis

One reason is I want to wrap the iframe embed code with a parent tag that makes the player responsive and fixes some formatting. Also, the built in embed insists on a width and height which I don't want.

Either way, it would be nice to know why it isn't working.   I found a bug report of something that is fairly similar: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-3789

Feb 23, 2015 @ 18:31
    Dennis Aaen

Hi IanS,

Okay that make sense, try to see this thread about the same topic perhaps you can use the same approach as Chris. https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/61268-Umbraco-Grid-editor,-YouTube,-and-Bootstrap

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 23, 2015 @ 18:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ian

Ah, sorry missed that - Looked like the error one usually get's when seeing the error in the browser.

So you should probably just check if there has been set a value before trying to render the iframe code.

/Jan

Feb 24, 2015 @ 11:34
    IanS

Thanks Dennis.  The approach Chris is using is the same as mine though.

I have since discovered that when i add the macro to the RTE, if I check the network panel in firefox I can see umbraco trying to hit the following URL but it is getting a 404 (not found) back:

/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Macro/GetMacroResultAsHtmlForEditor?macroAlias=YouTubevideo&pageId=-1&macroParams%5B0%5D.key=videoID&macroParams%5B0%5D.value=1234567

Should this page exist? I can't find it in my installation although it is referenced in these scripts:

\umbraco\Js\umbraco.resources.js

umbraco\Js\umbraco.services.js

Feb 24, 2015 @ 11:39
    Feb 24, 2015 @ 11:40
    Dennis Aaen

Hi IanS,

I just think that your partial view macro file, just need to contain this snippet of code.

inheritsUmbraco.Web.Macros.PartialViewMacroPage

@if(Model.MacroParameters["
    videoID"]! =null)
    {

var fullLink = Model.MacroParameters["
    videoID"].ToString();

var youTubeId = fullLink.Split('=').Last();

<div class="embed-responsive embed-responsive-16by9">

<iframe class="embed-responsive-item" type="text/html" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/@youTubeId?rel=0&showinfo=0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe>
      </
    div>
    }

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Feb 24, 2015 @ 11:44
    IanS

Thanks again. Have just tried that but unfortunately still getting the 404 error

Feb 24, 2015 @ 12:09
    Dennis Aaen

Hi IanS,

I have no problem to get this to work on the frontend of the website with this code snippet. I have added the macro paramter called videoID, as type textbox.

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Macros.PartialViewMacroPage

@if (Model.MacroParameters["videoID"] != null){

var fullLink = Model.MacroParameters["videoID"].ToString();
          var youTubeId = fullLink.Split('=').Last();

<div class="embed-responsive embed-responsive-16by9">
          <iframe class="embed-responsive-item" type="text/html" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/@youTubeId?rel=0&showinfo=0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

</div>
    }

But in the backend i will just get this macro Alias: YouTube in a yellow dotted box. Did you remember to add the parameter to the macro, and make sure that the alias is videoID. casing is very important herre.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Feb 24, 2015 @ 12:17
    IanS

Hi Dennis.

Yes I've added the parameter to the macro with the alias in the correct case and set as a textbox field.  The 404 error I get is:

The url returned a 404 (not found) for /umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Macro/GetMacroResultAsHtmlForEditor

This file doesn't exist for me.  Should it?  If not, there must be some custom routing.

Feb 25, 2015 @ 16:58
    IanS

I've tried the latest build of Umbraco and this is still happening.  Must be a bug then.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft