Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason Evans 50 posts 71 karma points
    Oct 16, 2012 @ 12:02
    Jason Evans

How can I open a page in the dashboard from click on content tree node?

I have an Umbraco site where the following requirement has been set:

In the "Members" area there are three content tree nodes:

• Members
    • Member Groups
    • Member Types

When clicking on any of the above nodes, the default behaviour is:

javascript.UmbClientMgr.appActions().openDashboard('member');

What I would like to do is this - when the user clicks on the "Member Groups" node, rather then opening the "member" dashboard, I want to show a new custom dashboard instead. I have tried editing the "dashboard.config" file by adding this:

<section alias="StartupMemberGroupDashboardSection">
        <areas>
          <area>memberGroup</area>
        </areas>
        <tab caption="Get Started">
          <control showOnce="true" addPanel="true" panelCaption="">
            /umbraco/plugins/mystuf/test.ascx
          </control>
        </tab>
      </section>

I then have a custom "LoadMemberGroups" class (which takes over from Umbraco's default "loadMemberGroups" class) which, in "CreateRootNode(ref XmlTreeNode rootNode)" I set the "Action" property of the node to:

rootNode.Action = string.Format("javascript:{0}", ClientTools.Scripts.OpenDashboard("memberGroup"));

Now when clicking on the "Member Groups" node a blank, empty, dashboard window is shown. Looking in the Umbraco code I can see the problem is that it's expecting an "app" name of memberGroup somehwere, but there isn't one. There is a "member" app, but "memberGroup" is associated to that "member" app, so I can't create a seperate "memberGroup" app entry in umbracoAppTree. I did try this, but ended up with the "Member Groups" content node not rendering at all.

I then tried:

rootNode.Action = string.Format("javascript:{0}", ClientTools.Scripts.ChangeContentFrameUrl("/plugins/mystuff/test.aspx"));

But the problem here is that I loose the dashboard template look - rather, the entire right hand side shows the "test.aspx" page, which isn't what I want.

So how can I change the content of the dashboard area via clicking on a content tree node?

• Jason Evans 50 posts 71 karma points
    Oct 16, 2012 @ 13:07
    Jason Evans

OK, I got what I wanted, but I did cheat a bit.

Basically when I click on the "Member Groups" node, I do the following:

rootNode.Action = "parent.right.document.location.href = '/umbraco/plugins/mystuff/test.aspx'";

The page "test.aspx" contains controls borrowed from "dashboard.aspx" from the Umbraco source code. So I've got the page looking similar to a dashboard, but it will have my custom functionality.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft