Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• andles 44 posts 64 karma points
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 06:34
    andles

Converting Document to XmlNode - Performance Issue

Hi,

My problem is about performance, or maybe technique. I need an XmlNode for some later processing, so I do the below call on an Umbraco document to get this XmlNode.

XmlNode n = doc.ToXml(new System.Xml.XmlDocument(), true);  // taking 17 seconds to complete.

The tree it is working on has maybe a few hundred nodes, but will potentially grow to become even bigger as nodes are dynamically added to it over the websites lifetime.

Not sure if this is relevant, but what I actually need is an XElement – and it the above ToXml call that gets me the XmlNode I need to use XElement.Parse. So I may well be going about the whole thing in a less than optimal way?

XElement surveyGroupEl = XElement.Parse(doc.OuterXml); // using the above XmlNode to get an XElement

Cheers,
    Andles.

Feb 24, 2011 @ 06:42
    andles

Code sample corection: XElement surveyGroupEl = XElement.Parse(n.OuterXml); // (not doc.OuterXml)

(I get errors on these forums when trying to edit posts. Cant even ubold text without going into html view, which also causes errors. Really wish theyd get some better forum software at this stage in the game!!)

Feb 24, 2011 @ 09:23
    andles

This is really quite strange. After 3 days of it taking 17 seconds (despite server restrats and numerous other such things) it suddenly now only takes 3 seconds. The only difference being the addition of of a few hundred more nodes via  copy operation on the node tree.

Can someone explain to me why this can vary so much - and actually be faster with more nodes? This is read NOT from a database operation but from the in memory version of the node tree, right?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft