Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Aug 31, 2010 @ 13:41
    Dan

Assign new members to group and add other values to member properties

Hi,

I have a standard registration system on a site, using just the default .NET registration control.  It's working fine, but I'd like to have all members automatically pre-assigned to a particular member group (webMembers) when they register (rather than having to manually assign via the Umbraco back-end).

Also, in the member type for these members, I have a field called 'memberGUID'.  When a visitor visits the site they are automatically assigned a GUID value as a cookie.  What I want to be able to do is store that value in the memberGUID property in the member type for that member.

Can anyone help me through this, or point me in the direction of some documentation which details how this can be done?

Thanks all.

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Aug 31, 2010 @ 14:24
    Michael Latouche

Hi Dan,

To pre-assign member groups by, you just need create a group in Umbraco admin and then you can assign it to the members by using the "traditional" asp.Net  Membership/Role provider.

To access the memberGUID property, you can check this article from Aaron Powell, I think it will set you on tracks: http://www.aaron-powell.com/umbraco-members-profiles

Cheers,

Michael.

• Ulla Skaanning 67 posts 97 karma points
    Sep 08, 2010 @ 20:34
    Ulla Skaanning

Hi

I am also working on a signup form, where I want the user to be able to pick a group to be a member of. (in my case: Danish, English or Russian). But I cannot seem to get the traditional ASP.NET createuserwizard to add the user to a group in any way.

(Right now I'm using a Wizard in 2 steps where the second step provides a checkboxlist to choose the group from.)

Is there some special markup for this, or does the Umbraco Roleprovider work differently than other role providers?

Really struggling with this, so I hope anyone can help.

Thanks

// Ulla

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Nov 04, 2013 @ 11:58
    Dan

Just for the record, the Wiki docs http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/api-cheatsheet/working-with-members illustrate how to add members to groups and edit properties etc. I gather membership is about to be overhauled, but for the meantime (6.1.2) this documentation seems to work nicely.

• Ron Mast 9 posts 29 karma points
    Apr 22, 2015 @ 06:46
    Ron Mast

Hi Michael,

Can you expound on your comment below:

To pre-assign member groups by, you just need create a group in Umbraco admin and then you can assign it to the members by using the "traditional" asp.Net Membership/Role provider.

I'm having trouble auto assigning a member to a member group upon registration. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Ron

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Apr 23, 2015 @ 17:51
    Michael Latouche

Hi Ron,

It's been a while since I wrote this post. I probably have an example somewhere, I'll try to find it back. What I meant basically, was the fact that you can use Membership methods like Roles.AddUserToRole("myuser", "myrole").

I'll try to come back with more info :-)

Cheers,

Michaƫl.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft