Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• andles 44 posts 64 karma points
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 11:10
    andles

View for cmsContentXml table

Hello All,

I am wanting to create a sql server view which takes the Umbraco cmsContentXml table and is different only in that the view will contain columns for the xml elements. Basically, for reporting purposes, I'm thinking it woud be easier / better to write a bunch of reports against this view instead of trying to work with the cmsContentXmltable directly.

So I guess to ask if this is something to handle myself via SQL server xml capabilities, or to see if others have some other reccomened approach and solutions?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,
    Andy

• andles 44 posts 64 karma points
    Aug 20, 2010 @ 10:15
    andles

No responses - no doubt becuase this was more a SQL than Umbraco question. Though fyi and for my own reference here is the 'quickie' solution I came up with for working with the xml defined properties in relational / normalised form.

Create a view 'vwMemberResponses'  that had the xml stored as XML datatype a opposed to ntext datatype of CMSContentXml table.

SELECT     CCX.nodeId, CONVERT(XML, CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX), CCX.xml)) AS XML
    FROM         dbo.cmsContent AS CC INNER JOIN
                          dbo.cmsContentXml AS CCX ON CC.nodeId = CCX.nodeId
    WHERE     (CC.contentType = 1065) -- 1065 is one of a few Doc Types I will be normalising.

Creating a view upon the above view which resulted in each property getting its own column:

SELECT     

r.value('(/Question/@id)[1]', 'varchar(50)') AS Id,
    r.value('(/Question/@parentID)[1]', 'varchar(50)')  AS ParentId,
    -- USING APLPHABET FOLDER, SO GRAB "REAL" VALUE TO KEY ON.
    umbraco45.dbo.GetPathPortion(     r.value('(/Question/@path)[1]', 'varchar(50)')  ,   3  ) AS ParentParentId,
    r.value('(/Question/@createDate)[1]', 'varchar(50)') AS CreateDate,                       
    r.value('(/Question/questionText/text())[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS QuestionText,
    r.value('(/Question/@path)[1]', 'varchar(50)') AS Path,                    
    r.value('(/Question/responseSet/text())[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS ResponseSet

FROM umbraco45.dbo.vwQuestions CROSS APPLY Xml.nodes('.') AS x(r)

To note that the first view and the second could actually be condensed to a single view.

Joining related tables

(As in this case I had the concept of questions with responses (1 to many) I found I could string search against the path attribute that appears on Umbraco nodes/tables (and now as its own column in the view). This gave me the neccasarry node id's to key on once I had done the above steps to create 2 views (one for the responses, and one for the questions).

select  dbo.GetPathPortion( Path , 2 ) as ParentQuestion

(In my case, as I am using Alphabet folders, the actual key is 2 nodes up instead of 1)

First draft of a dbo.GetPathPortion SQL function:

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[GetPathPortion]
    (
        -- Add the parameters for the function here
        @string varchar(500),
        @index int 
    )
    RETURNS varchar(100)
    AS
    BEGIN
            declare @pos int
            declare @piece varchar(500)
            declare @count int
            set @count = 0

-- Need to tack a delimiter onto the end of
            -- the input string if one doesn't exist
            if right(rtrim(@string),1) <> ','
            set @string = @string  + ','

set @pos = patindex('%,%' , @string)

while @pos <> 0
            BEGIN
                set @count = @count + 1
                set @piece = left(@string, @pos - 1)
                if(@index = @count) return @piece
                set @string = stuff(@string, 1, @pos, '')
                set @pos =  patindex('%,%' , @string)

END
            -- Note: if @count is less than @index, the last @peice is returned.
            return @piece

END

Summary

I may well have done more work than was neccasarry (keen to know how this SHOULD have been done in Umbraco land) as I'm not that used to Umbraco API's and data model. But this has let me work with the Umraco document types and still work against a non xml and normalised data structure (which I really needed).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft