Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• kukuwka 75 posts 96 karma points
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:00
    kukuwka

Tutorial about ExamineManager

Hi,

Where can I find  tutorial about ExamineManager (CreateSearchCriteria/Search)?

I did research on google but I could not find something relevant.

Thanks.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:26
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Have you tried the Codeplex site and the Farmcode Blogs?

• kukuwka 75 posts 96 karma points
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:39
    kukuwka

Yes, I tried, but there no detailed explanation.

• Jeff Grine 149 posts 189 karma points
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:52
    Jeff Grine

I found it a little difficult to get started as well. The code samples here and here helped. You can get going with something as simple as this:

ISearchResults results = ExamineManager.Instance.SearchProviderCollection["ExamineSearchProvider"].Search(query, false);

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 14:56
    Aaron Powell

What are you trying to do/ unable to do? If you let us know that we'll see if we can get some documentation around it in particular

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jun 28, 2011 @ 18:40
    Connie DeCinko

I too am looking for the tutorial or other documentation as none currently exists.  Please don't recommend I look at FarmCode as that is about as helpful as telling someone that the color blue looks like blue. 

I finally through weeks of trial and error, with lots of error, figured out how to make a simple collection that contains a person's first name, middle name and last name.  Now I need to create a sample search against that collection so I can begin to make a true application.  How do we pass in a name to search for?

Jun 30, 2011 @ 04:45
    Aaron Powell

Have you invested in an Umbraco TV subscription? They have a few videos: http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/developing-with-umbraco

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jun 30, 2011 @ 06:22
    Connie DeCinko

Yes, I have a subscription and have watched the videos.  However, there are no videos about Examine and indexing SQL data.

Again I ask, how do you offer a tool without information on how to use it?

Jun 30, 2011 @ 06:42
    Aaron Powell

Ok, a few things:

1) You're not really asking an Umbraco question, you're asking an Examine question. Examine *isn't* an Umbraco product it's just a library which we use in Umbraco for searching. As it so happens it was developed by members of the core team. Questions directly about Examine would be better raised directly in the Examine discussion area (http://examine.codeplex.com/discussions) as that is where people who are most involved with Examine monitor.

2) From the sounds of it what you are trying to do with Examine sounds very niche and probably hasn't been done by many others, if anyone, so it's not something that is likely to be highly documented.

3) Have you looked into the example of a custom provider in the source?

4) Arguing at open source projects for not providing enough documentation is not nice, most of us have full time jobs as well as contributing to open source projects and when it comes down to a choice between fixing a bug, improving a feature or writing documentation you can probable guess what falls by the way. True it's no excuse for lacking documentation by we are just doing the best we can to ensure that everyone is happy.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft