Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ferdy Hoefakker 214 posts 248 karma points
    Jun 15, 2010 @ 16:45
    Ferdy Hoefakker

Architecture picture

Hello,

I have been looking around, but I cannot seem to find a picture depicting the architecture of how Umbraco works. If there is one (or someone else already made it) I would really like to have a copy for the presentation I need to give.

This presentation is for my graduation project, and my teacher has just specifically requested/suggested me to include such a picture in it. Since I want to pass and graduate, it would be a smart thing for me to heed his advice and make him happy :P

Thanks in advance.

-Ferdy Hoefakker

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Jun 15, 2010 @ 16:47
    Laurence Gillian

You could start by looking at Hendy's great blog post;

http://blog.hendyracher.co.uk/umbraco-database-part-1/

Not sure how much the release of 4.1 changes these things, but I'm sure it will! ;)

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Jun 15, 2010 @ 16:56
  • Thomas.R 39 posts 62 karma points
    Jun 15, 2010 @ 17:24
    Thomas.R

Hi,

This pictures doesn't show the way Umbraco works, these are databases schemas.

I think he wants a schema like this :

- Handling requested URL

- Retrieving the document associated to the requested URL

- Loading the template associated to the document document type (and the inner server side controls)

- Loading Macros (positionning the xpath navigator on the node associated with the macros)

- Rendering.... etc....

It's just for the example but do you seek something like this ?

Jun 16, 2010 @ 09:09
    Ferdy Hoefakker

Laurence and Dan, thanks for your help, but Thomas is right. I need a schema of how Umbraco works, not an overview of the databases (though those might be usefull as well). Sorry if this was not clear from my original post.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5046 posts 15479 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jun 16, 2010 @ 09:14
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I am not aware of such a picture existing at the moment, would definitely be nice to have though.

Maybe you could get the Umbraco source and play with VS2010's architecture explorer to generate something?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 16, 2010 @ 09:15
    Morten Bock

I don't think such a diagram exists. At least not in the public space. Maybe the core team has something like that internally, but I must admit that I doubt it. But it would be a great thing to have, for people to understand the inner workings.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jun 16, 2010 @ 10:37
    Niels Hartvig

It doesn't exist atm.

Jun 16, 2010 @ 11:12
    Ferdy Hoefakker

Thanks for the answer Niels. Maybe I can figure something out myself then.

Jun 17, 2010 @ 10:14
    Ferdy Hoefakker

Sorry for the double post, but I just want some input on this: http://ferdy.sohosted.com/ferdy/schema.png

It's a VERY simple schema, but I want to know if it's correct. Umbraco saves to the database, from which the cache is build. When a page is retrieved, Umbraco retrieves the nessecary data from the cache and returns the finalized output to the page. It doesn't need to be too detailed and technical, but yeah.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 10:51
    Niels Hartvig

That's pretty much it. The db is used for persistence of editable data. When the publish method is initiated, the xml cache is updated and saved async. When the app boots, it can read the latest cache directly from disk instead of needing to rebuild it from a database (which stores data relational and not hierachical). On large sites (>5k documents) this gives a significant performance increase in app boot times.

Jun 17, 2010 @ 11:10
    Ferdy Hoefakker

Thanks Niels! Now to work it in the presentation and score some points with the teacher :P

Jun 18, 2010 @ 12:11
    Ferdy Hoefakker

Again, sorry for double posting, but it seems my teacher got creative and came up with this: http://ferdy.sohosted.com/ferdy/schema2.png

Figured I might as well post it here as well since people did seem to be interrested in it.

• kevin 14 posts 35 karma points
    Oct 22, 2010 @ 07:52
    kevin

Folks.,

i would like to have architecture of umbraco working ..

i would like to have a detailed description of it to understand umbraco well?

where shall i find it?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 22, 2010 @ 08:24
    Aaron Powell

http://umbraco.org/ is probably the best place for understanding Umbraco as an overall product.

• kevin 14 posts 35 karma points
    Oct 30, 2010 @ 18:30
    kevin

Hi slace,thank you for replying..

i was asked this question many times but couldn't explain them a satisfactory answers..

so what asking umbraco experts to help and share us what umbraco  architecture is all about and how it works.

thank you :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft