Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Magnus 3 posts 73 karma points
    Jan 13, 2016 @ 07:49
    Magnus

Tags and Tag Relations

I'm using the Umbraco Tags property editors to let editor tag their content, and now we are in a little bit of af mess, as the as-you-type suggestions that pops up when tagging content has grown full of misspelled words and terms that should not be used as a tag, and we need to clean it up.

I've found the database table cmsTags to contain the list of tag suggestions, and my initial thought was to just start deleting and renaming tags, knowing that the actual nodes are tagged by just storing the tags as strings in a JSON blob, so i'd have to go back and and clean up my content as well.

But I'm afraid to do this, as I can see that there is also a cmsTagRelationship table, that maintain a relationship between the tags in cmsTags and the nodes and propertyTypedId's they are used in.

Can anyone please validate whether it is ok or not to start messing around with the content of cmsTags table? And if I should attempt to maintain cmsTagRelationship as i go along, so I delete relationships to tags that I delete?

I've browsed through the Umbraco source and can't really make any sense of where the tag relationships are used.

• Ian 178 posts 752 karma points
    Jan 13, 2016 @ 09:22
    Ian

My first thought would be try and avoid having to make your edits in the database if at all possible. I did it once for relations whilst a site was in early development and from memory i got a few weired errors after initialy. There is an umbraco package in the backoffice projects section of our umbraco 'tag manager' is that any good for your needs?

• Magnus 3 posts 73 karma points
    Jan 13, 2016 @ 14:50
    Magnus

I was afraid you'd say that.

I've looked at the Tag Manager package, but as far as I can tell, it seems (based on this thread: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/tag-manager/tag-manager/63103-Merging-tags-doesnt-seem-to-update-tagged-content-(Umbraco-7) to cater to earlier versions of Umbraco where the tags were seemingly not saved as content on nodes. So it seems a bit dated, and does not really do well when merging tags for instance, so I'm reluctant to use it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft