Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graeme W 113 posts 289 karma points
    Jan 21, 2015 @ 16:37
    Graeme W

Granting permission to users (editors) for pages outside their content start nodes

We have our site setup so that the content editors (users) have their “start node in content” setup so they can only update the parts of the site relevant to them. However what I’m wondering is if it’s possible to grant them permissions to pages in a different part of the site?

The User Permissions screen in the back office looks like it should do this – I can setup “browse” and other permissions to the relevant node and get a confirmation message when updating them; however these permissions don’t make any difference – when the user logs into the back office they can only see their own section of the content tree as usual. In fact when I go back into the users permissions the updates don't seem to have been saved.

Can anyone offer any advice? Should the user permissions section work in the way I’m trying to use it or is there an alternative to achieve what I need to do? The reason I’m doing this is because users need to set a “Login page” and “Error page” when setting Public Access restrictions on a node which is achieved using the Media Protect package.

I’m using Version 6.16.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 21, 2015 @ 17:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Graeme

Out of the box it's not possible to achieve what you're asking.

When you set a start-node that is what people can access and then it does not matter if you have set "browse" on nodes that does not exist as children of their startnode. The startnode is the starting point and that's just how it is.

So if people should be able to edit more tree fragments you'll need to extend Umbraco either using the API yourself or by using a 3rd party package unless you grant them access to the root node and then just set "browse" on the tree fragments they're not allowed to edit. But if you have more than 1 editor that is soon going to be messy since you need to setup this pr. editor - There is no chance to define it on a role level currently.

But perhaps you can benefit from this package though http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/epiphany-custom-content-tree - But make sure to read the text on the page carefully. It should be version independant but you never know if it will work effortlessly if there is a conflict somehow. So before you install make sure to make a backup of your files and your database.

I think it would be really nice if it was possible to grant access to multiple start nodes, which would make it possible for editors to only see the content they should worry about. If you feel like it you could post a feature request for this at the issue tracker if someone has not already done so. I'll be happy to vote it up if you decide to do so! :)

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Graeme W 113 posts 289 karma points
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 10:52
    Graeme W

Thanks for the reply Jan

I think for our current situation we can work around it by having different "Insufficient access" pages within each section's part of the site. I will bear the package in mind if our requirements become more complex

Thanks again, Graeme

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 10:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Graeme

You're welcome - If you figure out a nice approach then please don't hesitate to share :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft