Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jules 272 posts 563 karma points
    Jan 16, 2015 @ 01:34
    Jules

U7.1.6 - Cannot Create or Delete content

Hi all

I'm using Umbraco 7.1.6.

When I try to create content (after clicking the create button I get the following error

When I try to Delete content I get

Any ideas anybody?

J

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 16, 2015 @ 07:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jules

Has this just started to happen or has it been like this the whole time?

Is it happening locally or on the server? If it's on a server then it might be worth checking if there is enough disk space.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

/Jan

Jan 16, 2015 @ 08:29
    Jules

Local Windows 8.1

This site is an upgrade from 6.1.6.  Pretty sure it has been working normally since upgrade so has just started happening.

This error is thrown on Create but nothing is written to the logs when the Delete failure (with YSOD) occurs.

Can publish single nodes but not

File system permission seem fine - ie Users group has full permissions.

Any ideas anybody? 

2015-01-16 07:16:46,595 [10] ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - [Thread 25] An unhandled exception occurred
    System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: type
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
       at Umbraco.Web.UI.LegacyDialogHandler.GetTaskForOperation(HttpContextBase httpContext, User umbracoUser, Operation op, String nodeType)
       at Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.CreateDialog.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at ASP.umbraco_create_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\f3f3ba55\865ce3a6\App_Web_create.aspx.5f2dec3.ggb5doei.0.cs:line 0
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Jan 16, 2015 @ 08:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jules

Ok, sounds like it could be a permission issue - Please double check that the network service and iusr accounts have full access to the umbraco folder and all the way down to the deepest level. Also make sure the application pool is run by the network service.

But before doing this it might be a good idea to try the following

1: Delete the content in the /App_Data/TEMP folder 2: Go to the /config/ClientDependency.config file and increment the version number attribute 3: Recycle the app pool

If that does not change anything the please go over the permission settings again.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Jan 16, 2015 @ 22:23
    Jules

Hi Jan 

Thanks for trying to help but no joy with any of that.  Still exactly the same errors occur.

Any other clues 

J

Jan 16, 2015 @ 22:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jules

I don't currently have any other ideas...is it possible for you to try and give the everyone role access temporarily? If it works when setting this then it's permission related.

I think that's the last thing I can think of currently.

/Jan

• Guy Malfait 23 posts 74 karma points
    Mar 29, 2015 @ 22:05
    Guy Malfait

Hello ... did you find a solution for this ... I'm having the same problem.

Thx

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Mar 29, 2015 @ 23:49
    Nicholas Westby

Guy, is your issue exactly the same, down to the Umbraco version (7.1.6) and stack trace? Based on the stack trace, it appears this is the problematic code: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/ded1def8e2e7ea1a4fd0f849cc7a3f1f97cd8242/src/Umbraco.Web/UI/LegacyDialogHandler.cs#L78

That is create instances of classes based on the values configured in this file: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/ded1def8e2e7ea1a4fd0f849cc7a3f1f97cd8242/src/Umbraco.Web.UI/umbraco/config/create/UI.xml

Use a diff tool (e.g., WinMerge) to compare your UI.xml file to the one above. It should be located in your installation at ~/Umbraco/Config/Create/UI.xml.

If the files are identical, that does suggest that it may be permission related, as Jan indicated. If so, we can offer further advise.

Some things that may help us figure this out:

• Did you upgrade to Umbraco 7.1.6 from a previous version?
    • Did the issue appear out of the blue, or was there a recent change that could have caused it?
    • Which identity is your application pool running under (common ones are "NetworkService" and "ApplicationPoolIdentity").
    • Is your setup custom in any way (Umbraco packages installed, load balancing, etc.)?
    • Is your site deployed on a shared host (e.g., GoDaddy)?
    • Have you tried copying the site to your local machine and running it there (if you want to know how to do this, I can give you some info about the nuances you'll encounter)?
    May 10, 2015 @ 19:52
    Jules

I did find a solution in the end - the only one which worked...

I used Nuget to upgrade to latest version - currently 7.2.4.  All now works perfectly.

Nothing to do with schoolboy permissions errors but something was wrong with the previous upgrade from 6.1.x (cant remember which is was).#

Slightly frustrating as no defininitve answer to issue but better to have it fixed

Kind regards

Jules

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft