Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mc 19 posts 39 karma points
    Nov 07, 2009 @ 18:36
    mc

Umbraco Hosting

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good hosting company? I would be looking to host around 2-3 websites.
    I've been reading around and I've noticed the hosting of umbraco is a little tricky due to the way it needs to run.

I'm looking for something that would be very easy to upload 2 or 3 seperate umbraco driven sites. I've worked with lamp cms's before and the hosting of these have been very easy. I'm hoping that I can find something similar for umbraco interms of cost & ease of setting up.

Thanks.
    M

• Ricky Beard 61 posts 116 karma points
    Nov 07, 2009 @ 19:56
    Ricky Beard

I always http://www.softsyshosting.com for Umbraco hosting.

• Ricky Beard 61 posts 116 karma points
    Nov 07, 2009 @ 19:57
    Ricky Beard

Sorry, I always "recommend"...really need that edit feature.

• anthony hall 222 posts 536 karma points
    Nov 07, 2009 @ 21:35
    anthony hall

these guys are good,

https://www.titaninternet.co.uk/ ( london ).

i have quite a few umbraco site with them, very good support. 

They offer sql express which makes it quite cost effective. Maybe you could get 3 x win 100 or you go for their vps options but you'll have to manage backup if you do that. 

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Nov 08, 2009 @ 00:57
    skiltz

Another for softsyshosting.  Support is always awesome.

• Billy Koch 77 posts 31 karma points
    Nov 08, 2009 @ 04:36
    Billy Koch

I have been with Softsyshosting since February of this year - I started off with their shared hosting to their reseller and now I have a VPS with them.  Their support is topnotch and have been pleased with them.  But I think they are U.S. based - not sure if they do outside of U.S. - not sure what you are looking for. 

Nov 08, 2009 @ 12:52
    mc

Thanks for your replies. Softsyshosting looks like a good bet based on your replies. I'll probably start with the basic shared hosting.

I'm running umbraco on sql express 2005, however how easy is it to install on sql server 2008? or 2008 express? Reason being that the host uses 2008. Is it the same process as 2005 or are additional steps required?

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 08, 2009 @ 17:45
    Chris Houston

Hi M,

( do you know James Bond? )

In reply to your question, SQL 2008 works in exactly the same way as SQL 2005 you should be able to back up a SQL 2005 DB then restore it to a SQL 2008 DB and re-point your database connection settings in your web.config

Don't forget you will probably need to deliver your DB user and re-create them.

Cheers,

Chris

Nov 08, 2009 @ 18:14
    mc

thanks Chris.....

M :)

Nov 08, 2009 @ 18:57
    Chris Houston

Hi,

Just realised a typo in my last message... oh how an edit function would be useful ;-)

"Don't forget you will probably need to delete your DB user and re-create them."

Cheers,

Chris

Nov 08, 2009 @ 20:02
    mc

yea that fine.

Yes it would be good if we can edit existing posts. Also it would be good if we can subscrible to a post so we get emails each time a user posts a message to the original post.....  Who would code this so we can email them the suggestions?

Nov 08, 2009 @ 20:07
    Chris Houston

Hi,

You can subscribe to the RSS feed for a specific post. If you look in Firefox or IE at the RSS feeds available for this page you will see multiple feeds available and one of them is just for this item.

Cheers,

Chris

• titanneil 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 03, 2011 @ 17:20
    titanneil

Hi all - just noticed this thread as being a referrer to our website for a few visitors the past couple of months.  We do a *lot* of umbraco hosting now, given its popularity, and have optimised shared hosting packages for it (http://www.titaninternet.co.uk/hosting/umbraco/index.cfm).  I'd be happy to offer a discount to people finding us through the umbraco community here.  Mail us at support@ and give my name (Neil) should you want to take advantage of that

• Nick Portelli 76 posts 102 karma points
    Apr 03, 2011 @ 20:40
    Nick Portelli

I use http://mochahost.com/.  Other than seeming somewhat slow it runs Umbraco just fine.

• Matt Bliss 176 posts 234 karma points c-trib
    Sep 23, 2012 @ 13:36
    Matt Bliss

Beware of diskspace allowance if you choose Titan Internet.

• As the media section fills up the diskspace can quickly exceed quota without you knowing this is the case (and the diskspace quota's are less than generous: http://www.titaninternet.co.uk/hosting/windows/index.cfm ) . 
    • Diskspace quota appears to be checked on FTP upload 
    • Updating a small javascript file (14kb) by FTP caused a zero size file to be created on the server because the quota is exceeded (in effect deleting the original JavaScript file -  checking FTP response log I see: "226-Disk Quota - Current : 583.987 MBytes - Max : 500 MBytes - Available : -83.987 MBytes")
    • This leaves me with a broken site on a Sunday because the host have deleted an existing file on FTP transfer rather than just refuse the transfer (unacceptable) and no way of contacting them (Yes support is only Monday-Friday 9.00am - 5.30pm GMT  http://www.titaninternet.co.uk/contact.cfm )
  • Brendan Rice 538 posts 1100 karma points
    Sep 23, 2012 @ 16:17
    Brendan Rice

I have been through a lot of hosting companies over the years and finally got myself a virtual private server where I can host multiple sites myself. The company I use at the minute is Ultimahosts (http://www.ultimasystems.net/) and they have been very good. I can deal with problems as they arise and am not at the mercy of the hosting company. There is a bit of a learning curve setting up DNSs etc but it is well worth taking the time to your head around it.

• carbonrb 22 posts 71 karma points
    Nov 09, 2012 @ 23:40
    carbonrb

All the other providers we have seen seem to be standard hosting companies which then require you to setup the Umbraco elements; put the files in place, setup the database, apply permissions etc. The setup process can vary from provider to provider, with varying levels of success.

We have taken a different approach and taken the hassle out of setting things up. We have created Umbraco specific hosting packages and automatically provision an Umbraco instance within minutes of placing an order.

Don't be put off if you have an existing site as we have assisted with many migrations.

We offer a generous no obligations free hosting trial pariod across all our Umbraco packages, so feel free to come and see what you think.

The following link provides details of the available plans:

www.carbonsoft.co.uk/umbraco-hosting/plans.aspx

I can whole heartedly recommend us, but their again, I would. We are friendly and care about our customers. We are happy two answer any queries ('contact us' link to the top right of our site) and are keen to work with you to improve our service.

Hope to see you try us out, even if it is just to see what you think and cancel your order before any charges apply.

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft