Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason Evans 50 posts 71 karma points
    Oct 15, 2012 @ 12:23
    Jason Evans

Umbraco 4.7.2 - Webpages no longer found.

I'm using Umbraco 4.7.2 and have noticed a recent, annoying, trait of my website.

I can navigate to the login page of my site, and after I enter the correct username and password, I'm redirect to the login page again with the "Welcome User" and logout link displayed. I was expecting, instead, to be redirect to the home page of the site. When I manually enter the url of the home page, I get this:

Page not found

No umbraco document matches the url 'http://hostremoved/master'

umbraco tried this to match it using this xpath query'/root/* [@urlName = "master"] | /root/*/* [@urlName = "master"]')

This page can be replaced with a custom 404 page by adding the id of the umbraco document to show as 404 page in the /config/umbracoSettings.config file. Just add the id to the '/settings/content/errors/error404' element.

For more information, visit information about custom 404 on the umbraco website.

Note that "hostremoved" is not the real host, I've changed that myself for this post.

I know this default page exists, as I've used it many times recently. When I log into the Umbraco admin site, and view the content of the site, the default page which lives under "Master" is there to see. In fact, all of the content pages are still there, however I cannot naviagate to any of them in my website.

I'm really stuck here and would like help on how diagnose why Umbraco cannot redirect me to the content pages. I'm borderline thinking of creating a new website in IIS and copying the website files to a new folder, but I can't see why that should make any difference. Though right now, that's my only hope.

Cheers.
    Jas.

• Allen Racho 4 posts 25 karma points
    Oct 31, 2012 @ 17:50
    Allen Racho

Jason,

Sorry to hear that. I have another issue posted yesterday which exhibits the same outward symptoms, not sure if anything in it may help you, but maybe it will: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/35740-Very-large-number-of-logged-exceptions-'GetRootDocuments-SystemTypeInitializationException'.

You'll see that in my scenario, I've noticed that I've been getting a massive number of exceptions logged in the database (umbracoLog table), and that when that happens, I get the exact same thing that you do: there is a page (actually a master page) which clearly exists (is there in the content tree), but which cannot be navigated to and displays the "intentionally left ugly" 404, not even the "prettified" 404 page which was created for that purpose.

When the flood of exceptions stops (for whatever reason), all returns to normal and I can navigate to the asset normally.

I would check in your umbracoLog table and see if you are getting anything similar. Good luck!

Allen

• Jason Evans 50 posts 71 karma points
    Oct 31, 2012 @ 17:55
    Jason Evans

Hi Allen.

Thanks for the reply.

To resolve this issue, I had a colleague of mine ftp over a backup of the SQL Server database of his version of the same Umbraco site. I did a restore of that backup onto my laptop and all is well now.

Unfortunately I did not find out why my site was broken. It could have been caused by the reasons you mention, but I'm hoping it never happens again! :)

Cheers anyway.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft