Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Justin Spradlin 139 posts 347 karma points
    Feb 23, 2012 @ 02:49
    Justin Spradlin

Should I create a custom section?

Hi,

I am about to add new feature to my existing site. I would like to replace a third party "test/quiz" system. This does not have to be a SCORM compliant LMS or anything fancy like that. I would like to give my editors the ability to build courses with tests and lectures. These lectures and tests prepare the users to take industry certification exams.

My question is, is there any benefit to creating a custom section for "Courses", or should I just create a Courses document types and child custom data types to build courses in the regular Content section. I like the idea of already having the infrastructure in place to create content in nodes, but I also like the idea of a custom application with a custom tree.

Can you guys give me some pros/cons for the two options, or other options if I am missing something?

Thanks in advance! 

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Feb 23, 2012 @ 09:59
    Michael Latouche

Hi Justin,

In this case I think I would create the items under the regular content section, because the structure is not too complex, plus you will probably want to give direct access to the "courses" details page to your site visitors.

On the other end, if you want to display test results or stats to the admin, it might then be better to group everything in a custom section.

Just my two cents :-)

Cheers,

Michael.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Feb 24, 2012 @ 16:23
    Dan Diplo

My preference would be to do it within the standard Content section because:

• It's much easier and faster - no need to build custom databases/code etc.
    • You get all the advantages of Umbraco's permissions and workflow - such as preview or limiting publication
    • You get automatic versioning - you can rollback pages
    • You get friendly URLs
    • Integrates nicely into main site and sitemaps and navigation
  • Justin Spradlin 139 posts 347 karma points
    Feb 24, 2012 @ 16:27
    Justin Spradlin

Thank you Dan and Michael. I think I am leaning to using the regular content section too. You both have very valid points. I may take a hybrid approach and create a new section for the results and reporting that the administrators can use. 

Thanks,

Justin

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Feb 24, 2012 @ 17:29
    Dan Diplo

Yes, stuff like reporting etc. is often best suited to back-end section only accessible to admins. Good luck!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft