Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Johnson 12 posts 32 karma points
    Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:02
    David Johnson

Dummies guide to putting an umbraco site live???

Hi there

I'm a designer and I've recently got to grips with building basic sites in umbraco. This has all been through my work though where developers have done all the initial set up and putting live of sites. I've been a litle bit spoilt you could say.

I'm trying to make my own umbraco site in my spare time. I set up my umbraco site locally using Microsoft Webmatrix. I've absolutely no idea how it all worked but it does.

The problem I have now is that I want to put this site live and I haven't a clue how to do this. I've ftp'd files before so I'm fine on that side, but I'm getting really confused understanding how to set up databases and all the tricky stuff.

I'm using fasthosts and I have a windows developer package. People seem to mention IIS a lot.Is this something I need to download/install?

I've looked around the forum and tried to google solutions, but I just don't understand the majority of responses.

Can anyone offer me any pointers or links to useful articles for complete beginners?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Anthony pj 40 posts 63 karma points
    Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:49
    Anthony pj

I suugest a good place to start is to purchase a copy of the 'Umbraco user guide'  manual available ina number of formats.

• wolulcmit 357 posts 693 karma points
    Nov 07, 2011 @ 07:36
    wolulcmit

Hi David,

does your fasthosts package give you remote desktop access?
    when you set up your site initially (on the umbraco install screen) what sort of database did you choose?

if you chose SQL CE (Compact edition) it might prove to be a bit easier as it will basically just be a full FTP transfer of all files.

If you do have remote desktop access (and you're not using SQL CE) then this video might help as it covers how to do a manual installation
    http://cultiv.nl/blog/2010/2/1/screencast-installing-umbraco

- Tim

Nov 07, 2011 @ 10:13
    David Johnson

I'm pretty sure I chose SQL CE. It seemed to be the simplest option that didn't require me to set anything up.

I ftp'd all the files up but with no joy. I think the problem here is that I haven't done enough initial research. My bad.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll certainly look into those suggestions and get back to you.

Dave

• wolulcmit 357 posts 693 karma points
    Nov 07, 2011 @ 10:22
    wolulcmit

What do you get when you surf up the site once its on your hosts server?
    any error message?, it could be something as simple as choosing the right asp.net version (version 4.0) for the website's application pool.

- Tim

Nov 07, 2011 @ 10:47
    David Johnson

Hey Tim

I get the following error when trying to pull up the site:

Directory Listing Denied

This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

Nov 08, 2011 @ 01:41
    David Johnson

Hi folks

Just a heads up.

I've just checked with my hosting provider and they do not run asp.net 4.0. They only run asp.net 3.5 and can't offer me anything higher.

I'm guessing this may be the source of my problems.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft