Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Min 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 07:15
    Min

embed media tinymce problem - it doesn't embed

Hi all,

I have a site running umbraco 4.5.2 currently (upgrade isn't possible, sorry). In the rich text editor, the client is trying to embed an mp3 (that they've uploaded into Media) using the Insert / embed media button on the tinymce toolbar. 

It all looks fine when embedding, but as soon as you save and publish, the embedded file disappears. 

After some investigation I've found that this is:
    - happening for a range of embed types - I tried embedding a youtube video and the same behaviour occurred.
    - not actually embedding the file prior to the save/publish, though it looks like it is on screen (ie, a flash or quicktime image appears at the size specified in the rich text editor). But when I selected the HTML button to see the html present in the editor (again from the tinymce toolbar) after embedding, it the embed looked like a bunch of empty paragraph and span tags, and nothing else. 

I've had the embed work perfectly on other sites, and it even works perfectly on the local installation I have of this site, it just doesn't work on the live one. There are no javascript errors on the page at all. I tried disabling tidy in umbracoSettings.config, and this didn't change anything. 

Any ideas what's preventing it from working? Going nuts,

Cheers,
    Melinda

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 25, 2011 @ 23:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Melinda

What kind of embed have you done sucessfully on your local machine?

I don't think it's possible to embed a mp3 file directly in tinymce unless you have made some custom modifications of course.

/Jan

Jun 27, 2011 @ 00:10
    Min

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your response. My process for embedding the mp3 successfully via the tinymce editor on local was:

- upload the mp3 to the Media section, and copy the url generated.
    - in the Content section, tinymce editor select Insert/embed media.
    - paste the url previously copied from the media section and tab off.
    - specify width/height of embedded player, then select Insert.
    This inserts a Quicktime icon at the size specified, boxed in by a yellow dashed border.
    When I save and publish, and view the page in the browser, the mp3 is successfully embedded and I can play/listen to it.

On the live site, following the same process, when I save and publish it disappears, and the embed doesn't seem to do anything if I check the HTML code of the tinymce editor - it's inserted < p > and < span > tags but nothing else.

Does that make more sense?

Cheers,
    Melinda 

• Dale McCutcheon 32 posts 135 karma points
    Aug 02, 2016 @ 13:06
    Dale McCutcheon

Hi Min,

Can you confirm do you need to put the full link in i.e. http://yoursitename.com/media/....

If so when i try to embed a link within the media folder it comes up and says it is not supported?

any ideas?

Thanks Dale

Jul 04, 2011 @ 06:53
    Min

Just an update; there were several developers working on this project and one of them found a solution. We're not 100% sure what caused it but the suspicion is that a couple of files in the umbraco folder were missing or old versions. There wasn't any indication or javascript errors or anything, but they thought they'd try reuploading portions of the umbraco folder to make sure the files were all up to date and the correct version/size. 

This must have fixed it, because the embed now works as expected.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft