Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• chetan 16 posts 36 karma points
    Sep 16, 2010 @ 12:52
    chetan

How UMBRACO is going to reduce my work?

I am working on sample website. Every time when I need to have some calculations, additional functionality I need to create user control. I feel it same as normal website development as for every functionality I need to move to VS and do coding. I wanted to know how UMBRACO is going to reduce my work.

For what kind of websites I should use UMBRACO and where I should avoid it?

Thank you
    Chetan

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 16, 2010 @ 14:04
    Rich Green

Personally I rarely use usercontrols and I rarely open up Visual Studio. 

I can build a site way quicker in Umbraco that I can in HTML.

For me it's nothing like the same as SQL Server/ASP.NET development

Have you watched the intro videos or downloaded CWS or Runway?

Rich

Sep 16, 2010 @ 14:20
    chetan

Yes I have gone through it, there are very basic videos like templates,content,navigation etc..

For what kind of websites I should use UMBRACO and where I should avoid it?

I have to add functionality where user will register. Then Admin will approve their membersheep. Once user gets approved he will have ability to save / view processed data.Mostly functionality that is related to storing users data and processing it.

Is it useful for brochure type of website? Can I use this for web application where I need to generate lots of reports from data in different formats? Will it be easier that normal web development?If YES What should be my approach?

Chetan

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Sep 16, 2010 @ 14:30
    Nik Wahlberg

Hi Chetan,

we use Umbraco for a wide variety of sites. Anywhere from simple brochure-ware to complex Web applications and Intranets. It all depends on what your preference is, but you can really think of Umbraco as more of a framework than just a CMS. It has an immense API and event model which makes it seamless to extend and build your own custom functionality on top (rather than re-inventing standard concepts). It provides out of the box .Net membership, Master Pages, and other concepts. It has /base which allows you to easily communicate with the API asynchronously. I can do on, but if you want a more comprehensive feature list, definitely check out the Wiki (and vids as Rich suggests). 

So, it's a matter of personal preference. It's the same with any framework or methodology; it'll take you a bit to get used to. But, once you're comfortable, you won't look back! 

HTH,
    Nik

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Sep 16, 2010 @ 14:34
    Dirk De Grave

umbraco is a CMS system, so if you don't need cms capabilities, then umbraco isn't probably what you're looking for... Choose the right tool for the right job, so it would really depend on your specific needs, and if all you need is membership stuff and users being able to update their profile data... well, you get the point I guess.

Can it be useful for reporting data in different formats? well, there's probably other tools out there, even in the non asp.net context that could solve that.

Having said that, I'm not arguing it can't be done in umbraco... I've been using it for a wide range of applications, even websites with large backoffice integrations and little frontend functionalities...

Just my 0.02$

Cheers,

/Dirk

Sep 16, 2010 @ 16:05
    chetan

Thank you Nik and Dirk,

As Nik said it might be take me a bit to get used to. I have gone through videos. I found only basic use of Umbraco like templates,content,navigation etc..

I tried to to start with Sample website and put various functionalities to it. But when there is situtaion where i need to create form ( I could use doc2form ) and storing that data many have suggested to use user control. Is there any way where I need not to take care of DB structure I simply have to create form and it will get stored in Db and that I can again display in proper format to admin and other type of users

Thank you
    Chetan

Sep 16, 2010 @ 16:19
    Rich Green

If you want to do this without using a usercontrol then Umbraco Contour will make this "wizard" like and save you a huge amount of time (at a $99 cost)

Rich

Sep 16, 2010 @ 16:23
    Dirk De Grave

Yes, that's correct, if you're collecting data from forms/user controls, i'd suggest to store that data in custom tables (unless you want to explicitly store that data as content and would like to display it on the front end, then I'd use the umbraco api to store data as content nodes).

you can easily display the data to admin and other type of users but depends on how you've stored the data. If stored as umbraco documents, then it will appear in the content tree, if you're using custom tables (ie no umbraco documents), you could write a custom section (similar to the content section) and display your custom data in a tree there.

Enough options, you to decide which path to take. Either way, let us know what you went for and if you have additional questions, just get back here and ask them. Lots of people willing to help and contribute.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Sep 16, 2010 @ 16:24
    Dirk De Grave

Rich, thanks for chiming in, always forget to add the Contour option as a viable solution. A real timesaver at little cost, and may fit your needs perfectly. Can download a trial version from the repo (Developer section)

Cheers,

/Dirk

Sep 16, 2010 @ 17:11
    chetan

Where can I get trial version of Contour?

• Comment author was deleted

Sep 16, 2010 @ 17:13

@Chetan, you can install it directly from the package repo, developer section / packages tree / Umbraco package repo / Umbraco Pro

Sep 16, 2010 @ 17:14
    Rich Green

Go to your developer section (in your website admin) - Packages - Umbraco package Repository - Umbraco Pro 

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft