Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeff Grine 149 posts 189 karma points
    Sep 02, 2010 @ 17:03
    Jeff Grine

Examine date fields in wrong culture

I just upgraded a site to 4.5.2 and overwrote the language file where I had previously changed en-GB to en-US. In the half day it took me to notice, there were about 12 new nodes published. Changing the culture back to en-US fixed most issues, but these 12 nodes have a date field that is now stored in the wrong format in the Examine index. For example, 8/31/2010 is stored as 20100831000000000 instead of 2010-08-31 00:00:00Z. This is causing an error every time one of these nodes shows up in the search results.

I've tried everything I can think of to get the index updated with the correct date format, but no luck. Even unpublishing the node, recycling the application pool, then republishing doesn't work. Anyone with a better understanding of Examine/Lucene have an idea?

Thanks,
    Jeff

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Sep 03, 2010 @ 00:42
    Aaron Powell

This is how Lucene stores dates. We're in the process of improving the date storage though and it will be improved in the next RC of Examine.

The date format is: yyyyMMddhhmmsshh if you're interested and you can use that to convert it back to a .NET date.

• Rasmus Eeg 91 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Mar 10, 2016 @ 12:15
    Rasmus Eeg

The isn't correct, since HH and hh conflicts.

I suggest the following instead:

DateTime.TryParseExact(strDateTime, "yyyyMMddHHmmssff", CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, DateTimeStyles.None, out dt);

Sep 03, 2010 @ 14:42
    Jeff Grine

I see, so nothing to do with the culture. I must have been using an older version of Examine (maybe 0.9.2.0) that got upgraded when I copied over the 4.5.2 bin folder. Will the new version in the next RC be a standard date format that .NET can parse as is?

Thanks for your help.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Sep 04, 2010 @ 07:46
    Aaron Powell

You can try the latest source in Umbraco, that's got a revamped way which Examine handles dates and pushes them into Lucene.

Previously we were only storing text fields and using the Lucene.Net DateTools API to transform them and push them in. Now we're leaving it at a config level to define whether you want to have it handled as a date or left as a string, but it's currently not documented so you'll have to look into the code if you wanted to use it. But there's still the question of how to push that back into the search results since Lucene doesn't store information about what fields were added as numbers (aka dates) or strings.

Otherwise you can use DateTime.ParseExact to convert the stored string into a DateTime object: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/w2sa9yss.aspx

• Jan Kees Velthoven 25 posts 46 karma points
    Nov 09, 2010 @ 14:37
    Jan Kees Velthoven

Have made a piece of helper code for this format

public static string GetFormattedDateTime(string date, string format)
            {
                if (date.Length != 17) return null;

try
                {
                    DateTime dateTime = new DateTime(int.Parse(date.Substring(0, 4)), int.Parse(date.Substring(4, 2)),
                                                     int.Parse(date.Substring(6, 2)));
                    return dateTime.ToString(format);
                }
                catch
                {
                    return null;
                }

}
  • Jan Kees Velthoven 25 posts 46 karma points
    Nov 09, 2010 @ 14:40
    Jan Kees Velthoven

And some unit test

[Test]
            public void should_return_the_good_date_format()
            {
                string dateTime = UmbracoHelper.GetFormattedDateTime("20101117000000000");

Assert.AreEqual("17 november 2010", dateTime);
            }

[Test]
            public void should_return_null_on_empty()
            {
                string dateTime = UmbracoHelper.GetFormattedDateTime("");

Assert.AreEqual(null, dateTime);
            }

[Test]
            public void should_return_null_on_bad_date_format()
            {
                string dateTime = UmbracoHelper.GetFormattedDateTime("00001332000000000");

Assert.AreEqual(null, dateTime);
            }
    Nov 09, 2010 @ 14:44
    Jeff Grine

Wound up with something similar, but took Slace's advice and went with ParseExact - a little cleaner than the substrings

if (adt.Length > 8) adt = adt.Substring(0, 8);
    DateTime.TryParseExact(adt, "yyyyMMdd", CultureInfo.CurrentCulture, DateTimeStyles.None, out dt);

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft