Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Jul 18, 2016 @ 10:04
    David Armitage

Umbraco Displaying Child Elements in ListView

Hi Guys,

Is there anything on the road map for displaying child elements within the list view?

Every project I build I would be able to make use of this. It would be awesome if it automatically created a extra tab names linked elements or something that then listed out the children.

I use list views a lot since I am always dealing with a lot of data which makes to tree view become useless. For me not showing child elements in list views is a massive drawback.

I find with every project I either have to

1. Live with the tree view been massive.

2. Or I... Simply the data that is been stored and just not have any linked data. I cant usually get away with this since clients have their requirements.

3. Or I... build a separate maintenance section in Umbraco back-end where clients view all the data rather than clicking into the Umbraco objects to see whats going on. This works but is very time consuming.

All options not great.

Will you guys be adding this in the future or is it something that's not easily possible wit the current architecture?

Kind Regards

David

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Jul 18, 2016 @ 10:32
    Shannon Deminick

What do you mean by

displaying child elements within the list view

Do you mean search results or ? All list views do IS display child elements, so I'm a little confused here.

Jul 18, 2016 @ 11:04
    David Armitage

Hi Shannon,

Sorry for my bad description. Please see the attached screen shots. It should give a better example.

As you can see peter pan has a number of child nodes. These are visible in the tree view mode

As you can see here I have now enabled the ListView module

Once the ListView node is active there is no way of seeing the children. It would be awesome if there was an extra tab listing all the children then allowing to click through

Image 1 - As you can see peter pan has a number of child nodes. These are visible in the tree view mode

Image 2 - As you can see here I have now enabled the ListView module

Image 3 - Once the ListView node is active there is no way of seeing the children. It would be awesome if there was an extra tab listing all the children then allowing to click through

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Sep 05, 2016 @ 10:10
    Shannon Deminick

One of the purposes of List View is to deal with a large amount of data which is why the data is paged. Large amounts of data cannot be shown in a tree effectively - and this will also crash your browser if you tried to load in thousands of tree nodes.

If you want to have both a List View and still have the tree nodes available, you can just add a Property Type to your document type and use the List View Property Editor (don't enable list view)

Sep 05, 2016 @ 10:23
    David Armitage

Thanks. I will give this a go :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft