Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• JeffersonHI 10 posts 30 karma points
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 07:03
    JeffersonHI

I Don't See My Published Site...?

I am a Total Noob with both Umbraco and SQL Server so please muffle your laughter at my predicament.  Here's what I did...

I successfully installed Umbraco on my PC...but with a connection to a SQL Server database that my remote host (DiscountASP) provides for me.  I stepped through my first umbraco.tv video that explained Document Types, and was successfully saving along with the tutorial...except I would have to pause the video because my saves would take several seconds to finish.  I'm confident that my database updates were saved.  But when I try and view my site - I saw nothing but a blank page.

That's when I decided to do the following:

1. Use IIS Manager to create a new website called, MyWebSite.
    2. Move all of the files inside my Umbraco1 folder under my c:/inetpub/wwwroot/MyWebSite
    3. Use IIS Manager to add a web application on that Umbraco folder

Then I try and open the site using the //localhost:180 (port 180 is what was assigned to the web app).

Now I get a page that says:

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error

The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

Module IIS Web Core
    Notification BeginRequest
    Handler Not yet determined
    Error Code 0x80070032
    Config Error The configuration section 'system.web.extensions' cannot be read because it is missing a section declaration
    Config File \\?\C:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyWebsite\umbraco1\web.config
    Requested URL http://localhost:180/umbraco1
    Physical Path C:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyWebsite\umbraco1
    Logon Method Not yet determined
    Logon User

Not yet determined

I don't really whether I can have a remote database connection for my local PC install of Umbraco.  Is that okay?  How can I get it to display for me?  I'm stuck.  Any insights and assistance would be VERY MUCH appreciated.  Thanks so much.

• wolulcmit 357 posts 693 karma points
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 07:48
    wolulcmit

Hi Jefferson,

this post might be of help to you
    http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/10095-Umbraco-45-Dontnetpanel-Server-Error-systemwebextensions

it sounds like your application pool might be set to run the version 2.0 .NET framework instead of 4.0
    right click on your application ppol and choose 'basic settings' and then change the .NET framework version to 4.0 and try again.

you can run Umbraco running a remote SQL connection, but in my experience thats always been a bit slow.
    Better to create an SQL database locally if you can, and continue to run your site locally.
    or alternatively run your site from your the same place as your host and do everything on the fly through the /umbraco/ back office. (I've done this many a time for learning etc.)

- Tim

Oct 12, 2011 @ 08:29
    JeffersonHI

Thanks for the reply, Tim.  I was able to change the application pool to .NET 4.0 - and now I'm getting a different error msg (I consider that "progress"!).  Here's the verbiage now:

Module IIS Web Core
    Notification BeginRequest
    Handler Not yet determined
    Error Code 0x80070021
    Config Error This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking is either by default (overrideModeDefault="Deny"), or set explicitly by a location tag with overrideMode="Deny" or the legacy allowOverride="false".
    Requested URL http://localhost:180/umbraco1
    Physical Path C:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyWebsite\umbraco1
    Logon Method Not yet determined
    Logon User Not yet determined
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 08:38
    wolulcmit

Hi again Jefferson,
    is this post of any use:
    http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/11328-Umbraco-451-IIS7-integrated-pipeline

there a few links there that should hopefully help you resolve your situation.
    this one: http://www.methodicmadness.com/2009/01/http-error-50019-this-configuration.html
    looks like it might be the most useful in your case.

what version of IIS are you running?

- Tim

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 08:46
    jaygreasley

Just to butt in, when you copied the files into MyWebSite, did you then set the file permissions to give Network Service (or the app pool account if different) the correct rights?

Jay

Oct 12, 2011 @ 10:16
    JeffersonHI

Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

I checked out that thread, and then searched my umbraco1 directory for "web.config" and found just the one entry below /umbraco1.  I opened to edit it but there was no occurence of "override," much less "overrideModeDefault."  :-(  Then I searched for any file called "applicationHost.config" but could not find a file by that name.

I also checked the permissions for Network Service and the IIS_USRS for that web application were set to Full Control - in fact, I wound up changing every user name in there that I could edit to be Full (starting to grasp at straws here...), but still no joy.

Still stuck on that error message:

This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens 
    when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking is either by 
    default (overrideModeDefault="Deny"), or set explicitly by a location 
    tag with overrideMode="Deny" or the legacy allowOverride="false".

Oct 12, 2011 @ 10:22
    JeffersonHI

I forgot to mention that my PC is running IIS 7.

Oct 12, 2011 @ 10:26
    JeffersonHI

I just found a post that's similar to what Tim had suggested - it's from 2008, but I'm going to try giving it a shot.  Here's what worked for the poster:

= = = = = = =

Re: This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is lock...

Sep 06, 2008 01:51 PM | 

Received this same issue after installing IIS 7 on Vista Home Premium.  To correct error I changed the following values located in the applicationHost.config file located in Windows\system32\inetsrv.

Change all of the following values located in section <configSections> --> <sectionGroup name="system.webServer">

• <section name="handlers" overrideModeDefault="Deny" /> change this value from "Deny" to "Allow"
    • <section name="modules" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" overrideModeDefault="Deny" /> change this value from "Deny" to "Allow"
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 10:35
    wolulcmit

applicationHost.config should be in your C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\ directory

appologies if you've already looked there.
    are you running umbraco as the root of your site? i.e you're not trying to run it from a virtual folder for example?

let us know changing settings in your applicationHost.config fixes your issue.

- Tim

Oct 12, 2011 @ 10:35
    JeffersonHI

I'm making progress!  Now my error message reads,

HTTP Error 403.14 - Forbidden

The Web server is configured to not list the contents of this directory.

Detailed Error Information
    Module DirectoryListingModule
    Notification ExecuteRequestHandler
    Handler StaticFile
    Error Code 0x00000000
    Requested URL http://localhost:180/umbraco1/
    Physical Path C:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyWebsite\umbraco1\
    Logon Method Anonymous
    Logon User Anonymous
    Most likely causes:
    • A default document is not configured for the requested URL, and directory browsing is not enabled on the server.
    Things you can try:
    • If you do not want to enable directory browsing, ensure that a default document is configured and that the file exists.
    • Enable directory browsing using IIS Manager.
      1. Open IIS Manager.
      2. In the Features view, double-click Directory Browsing.
      3. On the Directory Browsing page, in the Actions pane, click Enable.
    • Verify that the configuration/system.webServer/directoryBrowse@enabled attribute is set to true in the site or application configuration file.
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 10:42
    JeffersonHI

I've enabled Browsing on the Directory Browsing feature as suggested above.  That just opened a page that displayed the contents of the directory...doh!

That made me realize that a Default Document wasn't defined...for "default.aspx".  So, I made that entry.

Now it's telling me something about a missing MIME type...

HTTP Error 404.3 - Not Found

The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map.

Module StaticFileModule
    Handler StaticFile
    Error Code 0x80070032
    Requested URL http://localhost:180/umbraco1/default.aspx
    Physical Path C:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyWebsite\umbraco1\default.aspx
    Logon Method Anonymous
    Logon User Anonymous
    Most likely causes:
    • It is possible that a handler mapping is missing. By default, the static file handler processes all content.
    • The feature you are trying to use may not be installed.
    • The appropriate MIME map is not enabled for the Web site or application. (Warning: Do not create a MIME map for content that users should not download, such as .ASPX pages or .config files.)
    • If ASP.NET is not installed.
    Things you can try:
    • In system.webServer/handlers:
      • Ensure that the expected handler for the current page is mapped.
      • Pay extra attention to preconditions (for example, runtimeVersion, pipelineMode, bitness) and compare them to the settings for your application pool.
      • Pay extra attention to typographical errors in the expected handler line.
    • Please verify that the feature you are trying to use is installed.
    • Verify that the MIME map is enabled or add the MIME map for the Web site using the command-line tool appcmd.exe.
      1. To set a MIME type, use the following syntax: %SystemRoot%\windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set config /section:staticContent /+[fileExtension='string',mimeType='string']
      2. The variable fileExtension string is the file name extension and the variable mimeType string is the file type description.
      3. For example, to add a MIME map for a file which has the extension ".xyz": appcmd set config /section:staticContent /+[fileExtension='.xyz',mimeType='text/plain']
      Warning: Ensure that this MIME mapping is needed for your Web server before adding it to the list. Configuration files such as .CONFIG or dynamic scripting pages such as .ASP or .ASPX, should not be downloaded directly and should always be processed through a handler. Other files such as database files or those used to store configuration, like .XML or .MDF, are sometimes used to store configuration information. Determine if clients can download these file types before enabling them.
    • Install ASP.NET.
    • Create a tracing rule to track failed requests for this HTTP status code. For more information about creating a tracing rule for failed requests, click here.
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 10:48
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 10:52
    JeffersonHI

After adding ASP.NET, the error message is now this:

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error

The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

Module DefaultDocumentModule
    Handler StaticFile
    Error Code 0x800700b7
    Config Error Cannot add duplicate collection entry of type 'add' with unique key attribute 'value' set to 'default.aspx'
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 11:12
    wolulcmit

It looks like you now need to remove the entry you created for default.aspx as there might be a conflict with the one that was installed when you installed asp.net?

give that a go and hopfully you'll be another step closer.

- Tim

Oct 12, 2011 @ 11:21
    JeffersonHI

Correct, Tim.  Sigh.  Okay - I deleted that entry and then I got a message about a "ManagedPipelineHandler" being bad...and found a thread that suggested that ASP.NET needed to be registered after installing it - which I had not done.  So - I ran the following command inside of a cmd window:

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

And now...I get a blank browser page..!  AUGH!  I'm going to give this a rest until tomorrow.  Thanks for hanging with me on this.  I'll pick it up tomorrow night.

Oct 12, 2011 @ 13:40
    wolulcmit

that blank window is probably a good thing! it means you're getting closer.

what happens if you hit the umbraco directory which I guess is at http://localhost:180/umbraco1/umbraco/ ?
    are you sure you're not running umbraco in a virtual directory?
    I think you can get umbraco running in a virtual directory http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/10287-Umbraco-45-and-virtual-directories
    but just based on the amount of posts I've seen out there, it's best to avoid that particular scenario

so ideally you should have your site running at the root of your website:
    http://localhost:180/
    which would put the umbraco backoffice running here http://localhost:180/umbraco/

good luck when you pick this up tomorrow. Once you get over all these installation issues it should hopefully more or less be plain sailing.

- Tim

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft