Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave Brislane 15 posts 46 karma points
    Feb 08, 2011 @ 12:11
    Dave Brislane

Exporting an Umbraco Site and Running it from a CD

Hi All.

I have a requirement to implement an Umbraco site (possibly multiple sites) that in turn I will also need to be able to export and run directly from a CD.  The sites will generally be 30 to 50 pages of static content with some images and embeded videos from Youtube etc.  

What I would like to know in the first instance is, has anyone got any experience of exporting a site from Umbraco and getting it working from a CD?  Is it possible to do using some third party software or similar (ie HTTrack), or directly via a plugin?

The reason for using Umbraco as the CMS for this solution is due to the fact I plan on building the initial site as a template and then replicating this template across multiple sites and simply updating the content areas etc.

Thanks in advance as always.

Dave.

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Feb 08, 2011 @ 23:28
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Dave,

just my 2 cents: the best solution for this kind of requirement I've come across so far is to use some kind of offline browser, e.g. the Offline Explorer by metaproducts dot com. (Not involved with the company at all etc, just the program I've used (the free one) and works alright). Apart from some hacks that exploit the targeted environment in some way or other you just can't run a website from a CD (as I said, without doing anything else). So you need to create some kind of static version of the site that kind of mimicks the server 'experience', e.g. static html files can be opened in the browser and you wouldn't know the difference. That's basically what the offline browsers do. Another alternative would be to convert your site to a PDF document or something and then write a nice little program that will display this pdf in a nice way.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps. :)

Sascha

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 09, 2011 @ 08:08
    Hendy Racher

Hi Dave,

Have you considered using the Static HTML Export package ?

HTH,

Hendy

• Dave Brislane 15 posts 46 karma points
    Feb 09, 2011 @ 11:00
    Dave Brislane

Hi Guys.

Many many thanks for your suggestions, I will test these over the next couple of days and see how I get on.  

If anyone else has any further suggestions please let me know in the mean time.

Kind regards,

Dave.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft