Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicole Polet 50 posts 202 karma points
    Sep 22, 2017 @ 22:31
    Nicole Polet

Importing blog breaks umbraco backoffice?

Back in fall 2016 I successfully migrated our old wordpress blog over to Umbraco/Articulate. We have been using Articulate for our blogging since then.

Now we are doing a complete rebuild of our site using a new Umbraco instance. The site is built and Articulate has been installed, and I am now trying to import all of our blog posts from the old umbraco site to the new one. So I exported the xml file for our posts from the old site using Articulate's export tool, and then attempted to import that xml file into the new site via the import tool. When it's done importing I get a success message.

The problem is, when I go to view the posts in the content section of backoffice, I get a perpetual loading page:

enter image description here

If I view the blog node on the front end of the site, all imported posts show up fine (although there seems to be a problem where all of the blog author names show up as "Administrator (#)".

I would think that since I am exporting an Articulate blog and importing it into Articulate again, it should go smoothly. So I'm not sure what's happening :(

Some things I've tried:

1. Re-exporting and re-importing the xml file multiple times
    2. Importing with all import options checked or unchecked (seems to make no difference whether the imported nodes are published/umpublished upon import)
    3. Tried importing less posts at a time (didn't make a difference)
    4. Same problem for the Articulate Authors node (list of authors never loads)
    5. Once, very briefly, the post nodes loaded after about 10 minutes but after I clicked a node, and then "returned to listview" it got stuck in the perpetual loading state again. I have no idea what caused them to load but it was after several minutes of inactivity.
    6. I have tried importing the original wordpress xml file that I used to successfully import our blog last fall, and got the same result.

Can anyone please help me troubleshoot this? I am not sure where to go from here and have a looming deadline :(

Thanks in advance,

Nicole

Sep 25, 2017 @ 18:00
    Nicole Polet

Just wanted to bump this. Here's some more info:

1. I've tried touching web.config and umbracosettings.config
    2. I've tried republishing the entire site
    3. I've tried reindexing internal and external
    4. There are no console errors
    5. I've discovered that the nodes DO eventually load (sometimes). The author nodes seem to load quicker (still takes about 5 minutes for 9 nodes)

Umbraco HQ ran out of ideas of things to try so I'm hoping maybe someone else might have an idea of what's going on?

Thank you!

• Markus Johansson 1902 posts 5706 karma points MVP c-trib
    Sep 25, 2017 @ 20:15
    Markus Johansson

Hi!

Do you see any errors in the log files? (app_data/logs)? Or if you use the developer tools in Chrome, network tab (or console) - does the request to the server return an error?

Sep 25, 2017 @ 20:23
    Nicole Polet

Hi Markus,

Thanks so much for responding. There are no errors in my logs and no errors on the devtools console. But when I checked the network tab, I noticed that everything has a status of 200 except this line:

.../umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Content/GetChildren?id=1399&pageNumber=1&pageSize=10&orderBy=startDate&orderDirection=Descending&orderBySystemField=false&filter=

Its status is "(pending)"

So, maybe that's helpful?

Thanks again :)

Sep 25, 2017 @ 20:37
    Markus Johansson

Hi!

Okey =D Did your import add any nodes/entries to the db?

Does the API-call that has status "pending" ever get back from the server?

Sep 25, 2017 @ 20:40
    Nicole Polet

Hi,

Yes- the import definitely added the nodes. They are visible on the front-end of the site and they sometimes eventually load in backoffice. (Not sure if/how I can check the db directly though).

Yes, once the nodes finally loaded (10-15 minutes), the pending API-call did get a 200 status.

Sep 25, 2017 @ 20:53
    Markus Johansson

Hi!

Okey so after 10-15 minutes the blogposts are loaded on the screen? Strange that it takes so much time...

Are you running the site locally or on a hosting provider? Maybe a restart of the machine could make a difference? I'm thinking that it might have to do with the db...

But you did republish the XML-cache and also reindexed the examine indexes?

May I ask how many blog posts you have? =D

/ m

Sep 25, 2017 @ 21:01
    Nicole Polet

Yes, after about 10-15 minutes they sometimes load. Sometimes they never load.

I am running the site locally. I have tried republishing all of the content nodes, re-indexing the examine indexes, and touching both web.config and umbracosettings.config. No luck.

For blog posts I have something like 350 nodes. This is the one that takes about 10-15 minutes. For Authors I have 9 nodes and these ones are loading after about 2-5 minutes.

Actualllllyyyyy... now that I think of it, it appears that all of my nodes in listview are loading very slowly. I have another section on my site (not articulate) that only has 3 nodes and is taking 20 seconds to load.

So maybe this problem has nothing to do with Articulate and is actually a problem with listview?

Sep 25, 2017 @ 21:09
    Nicole Polet

OK, so another thing: we are using Umbraco Cloud and I just noticed that this isn't a problem in my cloud dev environment! So it looks like the problem is related to my local machine.

Do you happen to know if there's anything I can do to fix this? If not, no big deal- I can just do all my content work in our cloud dev environment. I'm just so happy to finally know what's going on!

Thank you SO SO much!!

Sep 26, 2017 @ 06:52
    Markus Johansson

Hi!

Yes thats what I was thinking... what version of Umbraco are you on?

There is an old issue here about this: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6887

Edit: Ohh... Sorry I did not see you last entry! Nice that you have found a solution - maybe if you download you site from Cloud again it might work better.

Cheers!

Sep 26, 2017 @ 15:38
    Nicole Polet

Hi Markus,

Thank you- that issue is almost spot on what I'm experiencing. And actually, my C:\ is realllly tapped for space- so it must be a slow local environment for sure.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it :)

• Nicole
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft