Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig100 1136 posts 2522 karma points c-trib
    Sep 08, 2016 @ 16:34
    Craig100

How to get tags and categories pages working?

Umb 7.5.3, Articulate 2.0.5.

What needs to be done to make the Categories and Tags links work? I've installed articulate on a production site with two roots and also as a test to a fresh Fanoe site. Using the Shawazza theme, clicking on a tag or category gives me a 404 on either install. Tried asking here https://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/articulate/discussions/57316-404-on-Nested-Articulate-Blog-Nodes-Tags-Categories-Pages but no response so thought best to try a fresh thread.

I have everything else working (including own masters) but tags and categories defeat me atm.

Thanks,

Craig

Sep 12, 2016 @ 16:09
    Craig100

A republish fixed it on the site where the Blog is it's own site. Where the blog is within a site on a multi-homed installation, it still gives a 404 for tags and category page calls and I'm none the wiser why. i.e.

Site1
        -Page1
        -Page2
        -Blog
    Site2
        -Page1
        -Page2

There are no indications in the log files and I can't see where the problem might be in the source code. I would really appreciate a steer on this if poss.

Thanks,

Craig

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5269 karma points MVP 2x
    Sep 13, 2016 @ 07:39
    Shannon Deminick

What domains do you have assigned to your root nodes?

Umbraco requires that you assign domains to root nodes if you have more than one, otherwise routing can get a little funky. For example if you don't have domains assigned with the above structure, where would "/Page1" route to? You can have no domains assigned to one root node, but other ones require domains assigned.

Alternatively, you could change the umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath which will force the routing engine to include the root node paths - since that's the only way you could have routable nodes like above, so that Page1 would actually be "Site1/Page1" and "Site2/Page2", but this routing behavior is less attractive.

Sep 13, 2016 @ 10:07
    Craig100

The sites have been running just fine it's just the tags and categories pages. Site culture and hostnames settings are:-

Site 1 has 4 urls + localhost:1234
    Site 1 Settings is set to "inherited"
    Site 2 has 4 urls (different urls to Site 1) +localhost:1234/oi
    Site 2 Settings is set to "inherited"

Only Site 1 has a blog at the moment.

"umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath" in web.config is already set to true.

"useDomainPrefixes" in umbracosettings.config is set to "false" but it makes no difference to the rest of the site if it's set to "true" however for tags or categories links it gives a YSOD if it's set to "true" and a 404 if set to "false".

I think it's because the master layout requires fields "metaTitle", "metaDescription" and "metaKeywords" in the DocType. I added these to all the other Articulate docTypes but there isn't one (or I can't find one) for tags and categories.

I guess not having "useDomainPrefixes" set to "true" allowed the site to silently fail and therefore give a 404.

Is there somewhere I can add these extra fields to whatever builds the tags and categories pages?

Cheers

Sep 13, 2016 @ 10:45
    Craig100

For now, I've got tags and categories pages working by looking for the meta properties mentioned in the master layout and header menu partial and substituting hard coded standard values where they don't exist.

Thanks for leading me to a workable solution :)

Sep 13, 2016 @ 16:49
    Craig100

Would I be correct in thinking that if the two blogs on the two sites share some common tags or categories, then it's a toss up as to which site is shown when you hit a tags or categories link? At least it seems to be what's happening to me.

The first site (no1) tags and cats worked, but the second site 404's. So I thought I'd switch the hostnames around to see if only the site that didn't appear as a subdirectory was the one with working tags and cats. I found the new base site now brought up the old site 1's tags and cats pages while the old base site (now localhost:123/lfo) gave a 404 in the style of the new base site.

Deleted umbraco.config and restarted. Still the same. So I really don't know if Articulate is happy being multi-homed like this. Or is there some cache I need to flush that I'm not aware of?

Cheers

Sep 13, 2016 @ 17:18
    Shannon Deminick

Hi Craig,

Tags and Category routes are not umbraco nodes, as you've noticed since they are not part of the Umbraco content tree. These routes are MVC routes, they are 'virtual nodes': https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Reference/Routing/custom-routes#custom-routes-within-the-umbraco-pipeline

These MVC routes are created during startup and when there's multi-tenancy involved (i.e. you've assigned different domains to nodes that contain Articulate) then these routes are created with this domain information which is why I asked you about the domains assigned to your nodes. (And BTW, what I meant by umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath was that you could change this to false to include the root node names in your routes)

These routes have nothing to do with the properties you've mentioned (i.e. metaTitle, etc...). These routes render in the context of Umbraco as the root Articulate node, so if you try to access properties of a node when these pages render, you will get the data from the root Articulate node.

To answer your question: No, it is not a toss up, this all depends on how you've defined your domains on your nodes. Perhaps you can be more clear of exactly how you have your domains setup on your nodes? Or provide exact steps to replicate your issue.

• Arlan Galvez 44 posts 175 karma points
    Jun 11, 2019 @ 13:57
    Arlan Galvez

Hi @Shannon I'm facing this issue with umbraco 7.7.3 and multi language website. I get 404 for tags and categories pages. Can you tell us how to fix this issue.

Thank you in advance, Arlan

Sep 13, 2016 @ 17:45
    Craig100

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the replies and further reading.

With the following set up:-

Site 1 Settings is set to "inherited"
    Site 2 Settings is set to "inherited"

Site 1 tags and cats works correctly (after I re-coded my master to handle missing meta-data fields)

Site 2 tags and cats gives it's correct 404 page.

Following a hunch re:hostnames, I switched the hostnames around as follows (settings removed for clarity):-

Site 1 has 4 urls + localhost:1234/lfo
    Site 2 has 4 urls (different urls to Site 1) +localhost:1234

Republished on each site node and at top content level.

Now Site 1 tags and cats gives Site 2's 404

Site 2 tags and cats gives Site 1's tags and cats pages.

Suspecting some caching issue I wasn't clearing, I deleted umbraco.config and ran the site up again. Results were the same.

So I was wondering if there was some other cache I needed to clear.

It may well be that I still have code issues on Site2 but it's failing silently, I can't debug it and there's nothing in the logs or in Chrome dev tools to give me a start.

Sep 14, 2016 @ 06:12
    Shannon Deminick

Maybe I'm not being clear, can you tell me explicitly exactly what host names you have assigned to these nodes?

I'm not sure what this means:

or

Site 1 has 4 urls + localhost:1234/lfo

Site 2 has 4 urls (different urls to Site 1) +localhost:1234

Sep 14, 2016 @ 10:17
    Craig100

The ACTUAL hostnames are commercially sensitive so I'll do my best:-

Content tree looks like this:-

Content
        ABC Home Page
        ABC Site Settings
        XY Home Page
        XY Site Settings

Culture and Hostnames (C&H) for ABC Home Page Site (all languages set to en-gb):-

www.abc.co.uk
    abc.co.uk
    www.abc.com
    abc.com
    localhost:50951/abc

C&H settings for XY Home Page Site (all languages set to en-gb):-

www.xy.co.uk
    xy.co.uk
    www.xy.com
    xy.com
    localhost:50951

There are no C&H settings for ABC Site Settings and XY Site Settings.

The site is an upgrade running via VS2015 "run without debugging".

The above are how the settings are now after switching the localhost items around. The ABC site was originally localhost:50951 and the XY site was originally localhost:50951/xy.

Adding the subdir to one of them was necessary to be able to run the second site. I know the best situation would be to have totally separate installations, but it's a cost constraint the client has asked me to work with.

Sep 14, 2016 @ 12:06
    Shannon Deminick

The problem is because you have an invalid hostname assigned:

localhost:50951/xy

Apparently Umbraco supports this for legacy reasons... I had no idea this was 'allowed' so I'm 98% sure that Articulate will not support that and that is the problem. I would strongly urge you to not use a folder on a hostname.

Why not just use a different port? Or change your host file to have a real internal domain there? Or DNS, etc... ?

Sep 16, 2016 @ 10:19
    Craig100

Thanks Shannon,

I must admit I was quite surprised when I tried adding a subdirectory to the hostname and it worked.

Anyway, following a discussion with the client, the sites have now been split off into separate installations and after resetting the hostnames and a republish/restart all is now working as it should.

Bit of a "Gotcha" on the hostnames front!

Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers

Sep 16, 2016 @ 11:44
    Shannon Deminick

I'll have to update Articulate to work with the path suffix for domains like localhost/xy ... I unfortunately didn't know that was a thing!

If you could be so kind as to create an issue for this on the articulate tracker, that'd be ace! https://github.com/shazwazza/articulate

Sep 19, 2016 @ 09:46
    Sep 19, 2016 @ 12:21
    Shannon Deminick

Much appreciated, thanks!

• Arlan Galvez 44 posts 175 karma points
    Jun 08, 2019 @ 14:40
    Arlan Galvez

Hi Shannon, I'm facing and issue like Craig100 in this issue. Could you tell us how to fix the 404 issue explained by Craig???

Thank you for your help.

Jun 11, 2019 @ 23:29
    Shannon Deminick

Arlan, i can see you posting here and on GH for this same thing, rest assured, i get every one of your messages but also realize I'm not paid for Articulate, it's simply a hobby of mine so i don't really have time to support everyone all of the time. What you haven't told me in this thread is what versions you are using, if this is the exact same issue as Craig, etc... If it is the exact one, then you can see the cause and the issue assigned above https://our.umbraco.com/packages/starter-kits/articulate/discussions/79901-how-to-get-tags-and-categories-pages-working#comment-255790 ... and an issue has been created for this https://github.com/Shazwazza/Articulate/issues/161

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft