Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gert 81 posts 288 karma points
    Apr 05, 2016 @ 12:42
    Gert

Tags & categories not shown in the Categories & Tagcloud widgets

Hi,

I installed the Articulate version 2.0.2 in an existing Umbraco v7.3.1 site. Unforunately the tags & categories are not shown in the Categories & Tagcloud widgets. They are shown though below the article but when I click the links, I get a 404. Any idea what could cause this problem? Any guidance to debugging the problem would also be helpfull.

enter image description here

Thanks!

Regards, Gert.

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5269 karma points MVP 2x
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 15:35
    Shannon Deminick

Hi sorry for the late reply, any chance you have this sorted out by now? Have you done a site restart to see if that changes anything? Any errors in your logs? Is this an empty site or part of an existing site?

Apr 06, 2016 @ 15:47
    Gert

Hi Shannon,

No problem. Thanks for the reply.

The problem is not solved yet. I installed the Articulate version 2.0.2 in an existing Umbraco v7.3.1 site. Restarting the sited didn't help.

Also no usefull error logs, at least as for as I know. The following lines are shown in the log file when I go to the blog list.

2016-04-06 17:43:16,036 [P6160/D2/T14] WARN  Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule - Status code is 404 yet TrySkipIisCustomErrors is false - IIS will take over.

When I install articulate in a new Umbraco installation (same version v7.3.1) it works. On the clean install I also installed the other packages which I had installed on my existing website and I had no problems, at least as long as:

<add key="umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath" value="true"/>

Because I almost always set this setting to false for multilingual sites. In this case the tags and categories show up (on the new install) but clicking them results in a 404.

Any other things I could try? Thanks a lot!

Regards, Gert.

Apr 06, 2016 @ 15:50
    Shannon Deminick

So it would seem the setting: umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath is part of the problem? If you have everything working on a clean install and then change this value, does this bug occur?

Apr 06, 2016 @ 15:57
    Gert

No the setting: umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath is only part of the problem on a clean install.

On my current site I never get to see the tags and categories in the side widgets. No matter what the value of this setting is. So I believe this are two seperate problems. The tags and categories are shown underneath the indivual posts though, but clicking these links results in a 404 (both with umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath set to true or false).

Apr 06, 2016 @ 16:00
    Shannon Deminick

Hrm, ok. Do you have custom routes setup or have other startup logic, custom content finders, etc.. ?

Apr 06, 2016 @ 17:42
    Gert

Nope, none of that either ... it's a mistery to me also. Searched for have a day yesterday without any luck. :-(

These are the installed packages:

Also installed this on the clean install but there it worked.

My files are stored in source control and read only when not checked out. Could it be that during installations something was not written correctly to a file? I checked most of the config files already.

Thanks. Gert.

Apr 06, 2016 @ 17:57
    Shannon Deminick

Well I don't understand how the categories and tags lists don't show up as links, that is super strange since those come from the database - can you check if those tags are in the tags table in the db?

As for the 404s, the tags/category routes are actual MVC routes and not Umbraco nodes. Those routes get mapped here on application startup:

https://github.com/Shazwazza/Articulate/blob/fd43d5c69574f4067ce564d79640a83d27651b9a/src/Articulate/UmbracoEventHandler.cs#L49

And then the get re-mapped if the root node of Articulate is updated or moved.

Apr 06, 2016 @ 18:07
    Gert

Hi Shannon,

Tags are in the table, they show at the bottom of the post, but not in the side widgets.

I did move the blog node to my homepage node at first, but for testing the problem I moved it back to the root and set it as the first node.

Apr 25, 2016 @ 19:30
    Gert

I believe I found the problem. For some reason the tags and categories are duplicated in the database with group name "default" when the Blog node is moved. That's why the tags and categories are not found and the relationships don't work.

Regards, Gert.

Apr 26, 2016 @ 08:24
    Shannon Deminick

Hrm this is odd... I think I know the reason for this.

Articulate requires that the tags and categories are stored in the DB under particular tag category names:

"ArticulateTags" "ArticulateCategories"

I think I may not have noticed this issue because I always use Live Writer to create my blog posts, in which case the API that Articulate uses for Live Writer integration always ensures these tag and category category names are set correctly. If you are just using the back office to create posts, then this category relies on the pre-values in the data types installed. The tags/categories for Articulate use custom Data types called "Articulate Tags" and "Articulate Categories", the pre-values for these should have the correct Tag Group assigned.

I've just checked in my installation and it's not set correctly, it lists 'default' which i think is incorrect. I'm not sure if this is the umbraco packagers fault or if I actually just forgot to update this.

So, can you try this:

• In data types, go to: "Articulate Tags", change the "Tag Group" pre-value to be: "ArticulateTags" and save it
    • In data types, go to: "Articulate Categories", change the "Tag Group" pre-value to be: "ArticulateCategories" and save it
    • Now try creating a post and see if everything works as expected
    Apr 26, 2016 @ 09:12
    Gert

Hi Shannon,

The Tag Group value was correct in both the data types. After I deleted all the posts and the tags from the database, it worked correct again.

I guess that while moving the Blog node, at some point the tags are duplicated in the database with group "default" (probably moving the blog node underneath the home content node?).

Regards, Gert.

Apr 26, 2016 @ 12:03
    Shannon Deminick

That also seems a bit strange. Can you replicate that behavior? If so it would be worth logging an issue for it with the steps to reproduce.

• Comment author was deleted

Nov 02, 2016 @ 15:04

Hey, just had the same issue, also moved the blog node after install to be under a homepage node. But in my case a republish of the blog and it's children fixed the issue...

Nov 02, 2016 @ 17:47
    Gert

Thanks Tim for letting us know! Cheers! Gert.

• Nicole Polet 50 posts 202 karma points
    Nov 15, 2016 @ 20:41
    Nicole Polet

@Gert- I am having this exact same problem. Came up when I deleted a bunch of posts and then re-imported my blog. I want to check the database to see if there are duplicate entries like what you found. How do you view and edit the database?

Thanks!

Nicole

EDIT: Figured it out- deleted the two extra table entries that were labelled 'default' but that didn't help. Solved the problem by deleting every single one of my posts and then re-importing them all.

Nov 16, 2016 @ 09:04
    Gert

Hi Nicole,

Sorry for the late answer. I'm using the SQL Server Compact/SQLite Toolbox tool for the Compact SQL database.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ErikEJ.SQLServerCompactSQLiteToolbox

Cheers, Gert.

• Comment author was deleted

Dec 01, 2016 @ 11:50

Hmm hitting this again after moving the blog around.. now a republish doesn't do the trick

• SSA Backend 108 posts 640 karma points
    Aug 17, 2017 @ 12:55
    SSA Backend

Hi, I have a solution for everybody who still has a tag issue.

Include ArticulateTagsStartupHandler.cs file to your project and rebuild your solution. The script will automatically setup right groups and tags will appear.

• Ultradata 16 posts 108 karma points
    Oct 17, 2018 @ 05:12
    Ultradata

Hi fabulous developers,

Just wondering if there was any additional movement on this issue?

Thanks Lorraine

• Biagio Paruolo 1583 posts 1814 karma points c-trib
    Jun 26, 2022 @ 09:02
    Biagio Paruolo

I solved to edit the table cmsTags.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft