Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim 168 posts 372 karma points
    Jul 14, 2014 @ 10:17
    Tim

Enable multiple archives

My current blog (http://blogs.thesitedoctor.co.uk/tim/) is structured to accommodate the rest of the team so:

Looking at Articulate, we could use multiple blog instances to achieve this but it doesn't solve the issue of the root folder which will need to list all posts.

Looking at the code for ArticulateController.cs it would appear that one of the issues is that you're selecting FirstOrDefault() but then lower down on Line 76, ListModel can only accept a single page.

Ideally Articulate could be expanded to handle multiple archive nodes which list all posts in date order on the homepage.

Thoughts?

• xme 22 posts 84 karma points
    Jul 17, 2014 @ 20:24
    xme

Hello Tim,

a very fast but furious solution could be implementation of this plugin: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/bvt-rss-feed

Just a thought! :)

Jul 17, 2014 @ 20:33
    Tim

Thanks xme, writing the logic to pull down the list of articles is simple enough but it will work around all the logic in Articulate which isn't ideal :)

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Jul 22, 2014 @ 19:11
    Shannon Deminick

Ok so just so I understand this further... Your main problem at the moment is that you want to be able to have your home page syndicate all of the blog posts from multiple blog roots?

Or is your problem more than that? From the sounds of it this is more what you want:

• You'd ideally want to have one blog root which governs all of the settings for each of your author pages (i.e theme, analytics id, etc...)
    • Your home page would be a normal Articulate home page and list all of the posts in date order
    • then you want to have a custom URL for each author which just lists those authors' posts? (i.e. http://blogs.thesitedoctor.co.uk/tim/ for 'tim's posts)

Let me know if that is accurate? If so I can easily create this functionality but in the meantime you could also create this functionality by creating dynamic routes on startup for each author, just like Articulate does for each tag/category. In Articulate's core however, if i were to make this functionality there would be a sub route for each author such as /authors/tim instead of just /tim

Jul 22, 2014 @ 19:26
    Tim

From the sounds of it this is more what you want:

Yes this is more what we're after but we don't really want the urls to be http://blogs.thesitedoctor.co.uk/tim/archive/post instead it should be http://blogs.thesitedoctor.co.uk/tim/post

I think the change is simpler than that (and offer more flexibility). Instead of using the first Archive node and listing those posts, it should select all descendant posts, this way if you went to the root it would list all authors in date order, if you went to an archive (or in this instance the author's name) page it would list all child posts...

Edit: One thing we have to be careful with is the urls should be hackable, I suspect that the solution you're thinking won't be i.e.:

1. Visitor comes to homepage
    2. Visitor clicks an author's post (goes to: /authors/tim)
    3. User clicks post from "Tim" (goes to: /archive/post)
    4. Visitor removes "post" -they should see all posts from "Tim"
    Jul 22, 2014 @ 19:33
    Shannon Deminick

Yes now I understand now :) I didn't grasp the fact that your archive node's were named according to the author (i.e. 'Tim') but that makes perfect sense and means it is more flexible as you say.

I'll create 2 features:

Cheers!

Jul 22, 2014 @ 19:34
    Tim

Super cheers

• Brian 15 posts 63 karma points
    Oct 07, 2014 @ 02:47
    Brian

Hello, has anyone been able to successfully set up multiple archives under a single "Articulate" node? I'm running into a bit of a snag when  I try to do so.

My scenario is that I have a parent "Articulate" (alias) document named "News". I then add a child "Articulate Archive" (alias) document named "Articles" and another "Articulate Archive" (alias) document named "Breaking" under my "News" document.

I can post blog articles under these nodes and visit them individually withou issues but when I try to navigate specifically to the individual "Articles" or "Breaking" pages to see lists of posts within them I get:

Page not found

No template exists to render the document at url '/news/articles/'.

In addition, no template exists to render the custom 404.

This page can be replaced with a custom 404. Check the documentation for "custom 404".

This page is intentionally left ugly ;-)

Unfortunately I'm unable to select a template for these pages. Is there any way around this?

Also another potential issue that I've found is that there is no way to have global authors that could be used in multiple blogs. This probably wouldn't be much of an issue if I wasn't running into the archives issue that I mention above.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into these issues and found a way to fix them. Thanks!

Oct 07, 2014 @ 02:49
    Shannon Deminick

That is not supported. Why do you want multiple archive nodes under a root articulate root node?

You can have multiple articulate root nodes though.

Oct 07, 2014 @ 02:50
    Shannon Deminick

The issue above: https://github.com/Shandem/Articulate/issues/9 has not been completed and I've had zero time to look at it yet unfortunatley

• Brian 15 posts 63 karma points
    Oct 07, 2014 @ 17:18
    Brian

Hey Shannon, thanks so much for your responses on this.

The reason that I want to have multiple archive nodes under one root node is so that I can share authors accross different "blogs". I'm trying to set it up so that I can have a single pool of authors and a single pool of blogs (News, Products, Education, Tips and Tools. etc) and then any of my authors could post into any of these blogs. 

My issue is that with the way it works currently I will have to create all of the same authors in multiple root nodes. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Oct 07, 2014 @ 23:51
    Shannon Deminick

Yeah, i think that's the kind of thing people were mentioning above.

Currently there's no support for that, just need to find this elusive time and can work on it as a feature. Though if anyone else has time, I love reviewing and accepting pull requests on GitHub :)

• Maff 141 posts 465 karma points
    Oct 28, 2014 @ 12:04
    Maff

Loving Articulate - great package!

I'd love to see this functionality too for a project I'm currently working on. Totally understand that finding the time to work on it is hard though...

• Owain Williams 479 posts 1410 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Mar 17, 2015 @ 10:30
    Owain Williams

A work around I am testing just now is to have multiple instances of the package under my homepage and then I access them via sub domains i.e.

blog1.umbraco.local
    blog2.umbraco.local

Seems to work and it also means I can style the blogs individually, allowing the users to have their own look and feel.

• Garpur Dagsson 29 posts 164 karma points
    May 07, 2015 @ 19:07
    Garpur Dagsson

Hi all,

I thought that since having multiple archives under one root is supported then I would be able to see all the contents when loading the root.

eg. I have

News -- root

-> 2015 -- archive 1

-> 2014 -- archive 2 

etc

this results in only the news from 2015 being displayed when I ask for content under the root.

What am I doing wrong ?

cheers

garpur

May 08, 2015 @ 00:58
    Shannon Deminick

What do you mean 'ask for content under the root'? multiple archives under an articulate root is not supported, on the front-end, currently it wont render any content apart from the first one there.

Also note, that the reason the blog posts are in a list view container is so that you don't have to worry about 'date folders', you can have as many blog posts in a container as you like (in theory).

Mar 22, 2017 @ 02:43
    Shannon Deminick

Got this committed: https://github.com/Shazwazza/Articulate/issues/9

So will be available in v3 when i get that out (hopefully next month)

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Apr 04, 2019 @ 20:02
    Mark Bowser

We are using Articulate 3.0.2. We are getting the 404 for each of the archive pages when we set "Redirect Archive" to false. Any idea what could be wrong? I'm not seeing any relevant looking logs.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft