Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mt 6 posts 28 karma points
    Feb 24, 2010 @ 11:24
    mt

Styling "description" for document type property

Hi All

Is there any way you can apply some form of styling (html, css, simple line breaks, anything) to the description text of a property on a document type?

Regards

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Feb 24, 2010 @ 11:39
    Kim Andersen

You can style the description in a css called style.css. It's found in the /umbraco_client/propertypane-folder. As default the description is formatted in a <small>-tag. You could style this, if you want to.

Otherwise, try installing Firebug, and inspect the element in the backend.

Hope this makes sense.

/Kim A

• mt 6 posts 28 karma points
    Feb 24, 2010 @ 12:33
    mt

Hi

Thanks, I think I was a bit unclear in my question, sorry about that.

I actually wan't to make line breaks in the desciption text, whether they are newline or html breaks does't matter. But this by default isn't allowed, and I would like to know if there's any way around this?

Regards

• mummmybot 3 posts 23 karma points
    Apr 14, 2010 @ 14:37
    mummmybot

I am having the same problem and at this stage have not found a way around it.

However, the first solution recommended here is a work around. Using the Firefox extension Firebug, you can 'inspect' the HTML element in question, which should give you /umbraco_client/propertypane/style.css -> .propertypane small.

You can then use the CSS attribute white-space: pre-wrap; to display the text how you entered it.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_text_white-space.asp

• eva wins 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 14, 2010 @ 20:04
    eva wins

Hi, I want to advice to you one site which have  the helpful information

<a href="http://phpforms.net/tutorial/html-basics/php-forms.html">CSS tutorials </a>

Info is written simply and clearly , the key moments are allocated.

• wolulcmit 357 posts 693 karma points
    Apr 14, 2010 @ 23:41
    wolulcmit

adding a soft break (shift+enter) in the description text of a property (and saving) will give you a carriage return. But you'll only see it if you manually edit your /umbraco_client/propertypane/style.css to include white-space:pre. Any particular reason why line breaks in the description is a must for you?

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Apr 15, 2010 @ 19:05
    Laurence Gillian

1+

I agree - being able to have line-break in the description field would be a very nice thing to have.

In response to the question above (@wolulcmit - why is it a must?)

We use the description field to erm describe properties to users (most of ours are very non tech people) so that little bit of description is really useful for them. However the very nature of the internet is that people scan read text, so its really handy if you can have line breaks as it makes the block of text easier to digest.

/Lau

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    May 06, 2010 @ 13:30
    Jeroen Breuer

I've made a workitem for this: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=26984. Hope this feature will be added in a new release.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    May 06, 2010 @ 13:57
    Niels Hartvig

Great feedback - of course this ought to work. I'll add support for line breaks in 4.1

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    May 06, 2010 @ 14:23
    Niels Hartvig

(and added to 4.0.4 too. It should be out anytime...)

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    May 06, 2010 @ 14:29
    Jeroen Breuer

Thank you Niels! Some of our customers will be really happy with this :).

• Claus Nedergaard 62 posts 104 karma points
    Jan 06, 2013 @ 14:16
    Claus Nedergaard

A quick note to Kims post on finding the properpane style.css.

I wanted to make the description text more visible to the user. It took a while banging my head against the wall in frustration about why the damn thing wouldn't update the syle.css

Solution: in the config/clientdependency.config you just have to change the version number fra 1 to 2 to force the update.

Hope this might help others :-)

• Kyle Goulding 30 posts 192 karma points
    Jan 08, 2018 @ 20:54
    Kyle Goulding

You can add line breaks to the property descriptions when in the default document type view.

Once you have added the property and saved, when you return to your tab view of the properties you can edit the description directly from this page without having to edit the property itself.

enter image description here

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft