Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    May 02, 2014 @ 14:00
    Simon Dingley

Publish at feature on already published node removes the node from cache

In the UK we have another bank holiday weekend coming up. I have a customer who needs some changes published to the site over the weekend and wanted to prep the changes ahead of time.

My suggestion was to make the change and save it, then set a "Publish at" date/time and the change should be published without any further human input. I've never really had much need for this feature before however on testing this situation once the "Publish at" value is set and the node is saved it appears to be removed from the cache.

I want to check - is this expected behaviour? It seems it would be much more flexible to have the "Publish at" feature ignore the current published status of a node and simple publish the current version at the given date.

As always, every day's a school day with Umbraco!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 02, 2014 @ 15:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Simon

Good input btw. - I think what you're suggesting sounds like the way to go since I suspect that this feature depending on the save event may be one of the reasons why this feature seems to work/not work between versions. Perhaps it would be a good idea to file a feature request about this on the issue tracker?

What version of Umbraco are you using btw? Perhaps this is version dependent?

/Jan

May 02, 2014 @ 15:44
    Simon Dingley

This particular install is 6.1.6 so fairly recent. I will check the issue tracker and file the request. It's debatable though whether or not this is a feature request or a bug unless I can verify that it is the intended behaviour. I guess it can always be updated afterwards though.

May 02, 2014 @ 15:47
    Simon Dingley

Coincidentally someone just created a similar issue in the last 24 hours:

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4809

I don't think on further reading it is exactly the issue I am trying to resolve though.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 02, 2014 @ 16:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Simon

I just voted it as well - We've been having issues on this version as well but all of the sudden they seemed to disappear so we have not been able to reproduce this hence no issue reported.

I got a feeling that the publish/unpublish stuff may perhaps need a rewrite since it's been working on/off since v4.0.x in my experience.

/Jan

May 02, 2014 @ 16:56
    Simon Dingley

Jan, I created a separate issue here http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4813 as on further reading thing they are related but separate issues.

• Chris Mahoney 233 posts 445 karma points
    May 04, 2014 @ 22:08
    Chris Mahoney

It's interesting that you're getting different behaviour than I am (U4-4809 was me) when following the same steps. I get a validation error both on a "dirty" install of 6.1.6 (upgraded over the years from 4.5) and a brand-new install of 6.2.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft