Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• RandallNotHopkirk 5 posts 25 karma points
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 16:19
    RandallNotHopkirk

Short/Simple Name or URL

Hi, apologies if this is the wrong location...

I've used a couple of CMS's in the past and one thing I can't currently figure out is setting a short name when creating content. I have an admin account so can do what I'll need.

In other systems there was a field to enter the short/simple name that would get pumped out as part of the URL. By default an ID is created unless you entered something, obviously for tracking and logic /about-our-company/ is better than /33435112/. 

So with Umbraco 6.1.6 how do I enable this on the types? I thought I'd seen something ith niceUrl but wasn't sure. One thing I have tried is adding a field to the Porperties. Name: Short Name Alias umbracoUrlName with a string. This is appearing when you create content but doesn't seem to be the primary/obvious short name is there somethign I can eanble to make it so? Guessing mandatory is one option?

Thanks

• Peter Gregory 408 posts 1614 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 16:26
    Peter Gregory

You were on the right track with umbracoUrlName

You use this property to override the standard node name getting used for the url. It will only use it if its filled in. So you are right setting it mandatory would be a good option to ensure that users always fill it out.

EG if you page was called

About our awesome company

Umbraco turns this into

/about-our-awesome-company

if you filled in the umbracoUrlName property you added and said about-us umbraco would make the url /about-us while maintaining the original node name for the name of the page and in the back office in the tree.

Mar 14, 2014 @ 16:42
    RandallNotHopkirk

Thanks so like the attached screen?

So any new content I create using this Type will automatically start using the vanity URL? Thanks

Mar 14, 2014 @ 16:46
    Peter Gregory

Well it will only use it if you fill it in.. But making it mandatory will force editors to fill it in and hopefully keep your urls nice and short and easy to remember.

Mar 14, 2014 @ 16:47
    RandallNotHopkirk

Cheers for this appears to be working via the Link to Document giving a real-name.aspx.

Hitting the preview button though still previews on the ID

Mar 14, 2014 @ 22:57
    Peter Gregory

Yes preview has always run off Id's as it runs off a temporary cache created so you can see what the page looks like before publish. Your actual website visitors will never see the page URLs using Id's. :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft