Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Mahoney 233 posts 445 karma points
    Mar 05, 2014 @ 23:27
    Chris Mahoney

Public Access and Upload property

Hi,

I have a site that handles "document management"; I have a document type that has properties for various metadata, and also has an Upload property so that the user can attach the actual PDF that the metadata pertains to.

I'm in the process of setting up Public Access so that documents can be limited to authorised users. This works for the most part; users without permission cannot open the Umbraco documents. However, if the users have the full URLs to the underlying PDFs then they can view them without logging in.

Is there any way to protect the actual uploaded files? I've taken a quick look at Media Protect but it appears to only work for content in the Media section. Unfortunately this "protection" requirement has been dropped on me late in the development cycle so I'd prefer not to have to move everything over to Media if possible. So, is there any way to protect the underlying PDFs when they're in the Content section?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Mar 06, 2014 @ 08:35
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Chris,

Media protect should help you with this requirement also. Did you already try it? Fully functional on localhost.

Best,

Richard

• Chris Mahoney 233 posts 445 karma points
    Mar 09, 2014 @ 20:11
    Chris Mahoney

I didn't try it; the documentation seemed to indicate that it only did the Media section (of course, I may have just misinterpreted it). I'll give it a go now and will let you know how I get on :)

Edit: Well, that was quick and painless. Next time I'll actually try things before concluding that they don't work. Thanks! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft