Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gert 81 posts 288 karma points
    Aug 14, 2013 @ 18:10
    Gert

Image rotates to landscape when uploading with FileUpload in version 4.11

When I upload an image with the FileUpload in my Umbraco 4.11, the portrait images is rotated to landscape (see the screenshot). Does any body know how to solve this problem? Much thanks in advance. Kind Regards.!

enter image description here

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Aug 15, 2013 @ 10:05
    Dave Woestenborghs

Normally Umbraco doesn't do anything with your image except for creating a thumbnail. 

Maybe you have a eventhandler in place that does this ?

Dave

Aug 16, 2013 @ 09:13
    Gert

Hi Dave, thanks for the response. No, I don't have any event handler in place. It's just a normal file upload. It's just weird. Maybe it has something to do with the ration infor in the image? But somebody must have had the same problem then?

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 16, 2013 @ 09:53
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Gert,

This is most likely an issue in your OS, in the way it handles rotation of images. Maybe it's only storing that preference in the Thumbs.db file, and not in the actual image?

/Chriztian

Aug 16, 2013 @ 10:22
    Gert

Hi Chriztian,

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking the same thing. I'm using Windows 8. I'll investigate it further and keep you in touch.

Regards, Gert.

• Emmanuelle Philippe 10 posts 51 karma points
    Aug 31, 2013 @ 01:23
    Emmanuelle Philippe

Hi everyone

Quick post to say that I am working on a Windows 8 laptop and I am experiencing the same issue on Umbraco 6.1.4. Based on my experience though, the problem seems to lie more with the pictures than the OS as pictures from a different sources (camera/media) will not necessarily get rotated. For those that do, re-saving them via Photoshop in my case seemed to clear the issue. 

Aug 31, 2013 @ 16:25
    Gert

It is not very user friendly to let them first rotate the image with photoshop or wathever application. It is indeed a Windows 8 problem. I haven't found how to disable the image autorotation in Windows 8 yet so if anyone knows how to do this, it it's possible, please share it.

• Emmanuelle Philippe 10 posts 51 karma points
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 11:35
    Emmanuelle Philippe

I agree this is less than ideal. Re. Windows 8 though, I am not saying that it isn't but just that if indeed this is the case then it should happen for all vertical pictures and -- in my case -- it is not. Vertical images from my smartphone, stay vertical all the way whereas pictures recently given to me by a client on a USB stick did not. Either way hopefully someone out there will have an answer soon ;-)

• Mike Wilson 1 post 72 karma points
    Nov 19, 2016 @ 16:24
    Mike Wilson

It looks like the way Windows 8 handles image rotation is quite different from the way it used to be for Windows 7 (and older versions of Windows). When you rotate an image in Windows 8, it merely updates the "Orientation" flag in the EXIF data. It doesn't physically rotate the pixels in the image itself (although it seems to look that way in File Explorer or Windows Photo Viewer).

This causes problems when the image is uploaded to websites because most of the time, the EXIF data is simply ignored. Check out this article Image Rotation Issue With Windows 10 for a better understanding of the problem and how to fix it (using the good old Paint program that comes with Windows 8).

• Harry Spyrou 212 posts 604 karma points
    Oct 25, 2021 @ 14:44
    Harry Spyrou

I had the same problem and your link fixed it.

Quick summary of the fix:

Windows File Explorer > View > Details Then view > Add Column (Select orientation from the list).

On the right side of the list you'll see the orientation of the images. You need to get it to 'Normal' orientation mode.

You need to open the image with Paint (Yes Paint) and then you'll see it most likely in the orientation you're expecting. Then....just save it. Your orientation in the file Explorer should say 'Normal' now. And...that's it. Ah, the wonders of technology...

Sep 02, 2013 @ 11:44
    Gert

Hi David, it all depends on the rotation info present in the image. Maybe your images from your smartphone were automatically rotated when you copied them to your PC? If Windows 8 detects rotation info in the image, it will automatically show the image correct in the explorer and Photo Viewer, however it will not rotate the image fysically. So if an image with rotation info get's uploaded to wathever site that doesn't take the rotation info into account, it will not be shown correct. I just don't understand that Microsoft hasn't provided an option to turn this off as for as I know.

• Bjørn Fridal 274 posts 784 karma points
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 12:00
    Bjørn Fridal

Hi,

I found myself in same situation just now. For my part, it turns out that the images I shot with my camera, stores EXIF information (Exchangeable Image File) about the orientation. Now when I uploaded the images to Umbraco my browser read that information and "rotated" some of the images. Though they were only rotated in the browser (and not in all browsers), but the file hasn't changed.

So I decided to rip out that information (I used http://www.exiferaser.com/) and manually rotate them with Photoshop. That way the images are actually rotated and are always displayed in the same way.

Cheers
    Bjørn Fridal 

• Sem Vande Capelle 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 09, 2016 @ 11:36
    Sem Vande Capelle

I'm having the exact same problem. A client is trying to upload images from here IPhone in Umbraco and some images flip 90°. I cannot tell her to open them in photoshop & save it manually... She doesn't even know what "Photoshop" is ;-)

Is there already a new solution for this horrible issue?

Thanks in advance, Sem

• Richard 1 post 71 karma points
    Oct 29, 2016 @ 17:19
    Richard

After struggling for hours trying to resolve the problem (to add photos of this year's Poppy Launch to the Cumbria Royal British Legion's website) and reading above comments I have fixed it by opening the photo in Microsoft Picture Manager (where lol an behold it was on its side), rotating it then saving.

• Chris 32 posts 108 karma points
    Aug 21, 2017 @ 10:38
    Chris

This is still happening in 7.5.7. The large image is uploaded and the thumbnails that are created are rotated.

The image is picked up as have the following dimensions in Umbraco

Width - 3264 Height - 2448

but the other way round (i.e. correct) in Windows 10 file details i.e. 3264 high. In Windows Photo Viewer it is also the correct way up.

However I open it in Photoshop and the original image is rotated, all rather strange behavior.

enter image description here

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Aug 21, 2017 @ 12:54
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Chris,

Luckily now there is package that let's you fix this : https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/tooorangeyuspinmerightround/

Dave

• Chris 32 posts 108 karma points
    Aug 29, 2017 @ 08:55
    Chris

Thanks for the heads up Dave, perfect!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft