Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Buckland 10 posts 30 karma points
    Nov 21, 2012 @ 22:39
    Chris Buckland

URL Redirect

Hey Guys,

Looking to try and make a page that I have created redirect to another page that is populated on the same domain.

http://www.lutanda.com.au/toukley is what I would like to point to http://www.lutanda.com.au/our-centres/toukley-centre.aspx - reason being to simplify the URL for advertising.

I have tried to have a look at the internal redirect and even Proworks, but I simply do not understand it enough and giving the page ID for the internal redirect isnt working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

• Tom 4 posts 24 karma points
    Nov 21, 2012 @ 23:38
    Tom

Hey Chris,

You could add the "umbracoUrlAlias" property to your Document Type with the value set to toukley.

Hope that helps,

Tom

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Nov 22, 2012 @ 05:31
    Fuji Kusaka

Hey Chris,

Have you tried using umbracoRedirect ? You can try adding a new property to your docType with Alias umbracoRedirect and make use of Content Picker.

Else if you want a permanent Redirection you can make some changes to your UrlRewriting.config

<add name="urlRedirect"
        virtualUrl= "^~/toukley$"
        rewriteUrlParameter="ExcludeFromClientQueryString"
       destinationUrl="~/our-centres/toukley-centre.aspx"
      ignoreCase="true"
        redirect="Application"
        redirectMode="Permanent" />

//fuji

• Arie 224 posts 675 karma points
    Nov 22, 2012 @ 19:50
    Arie

Setting umbracoUseDirectoryUrls to "true" in your web.config should do the trick. If I'm not mistaken it's set to "false" by default.

<appSettings>
    <add key="umbracoUseDirectoryUrls" value="true" />
    </appSettings>
    Nov 22, 2012 @ 23:16
    Chris Buckland

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the prompt replies - Tom, I must admit that I am at a level that I am not sure what document type I am supposed to add the property to. The guys that built this for us have since split, so I am having to learn the backend stuff on my own lol.

Arie - Tried that and it gives all my urls through the site a 404 error, so sadly this won't work.

fuji - once again not sure what to do with the umbracoRedirect, but tried to insert the script that you gave me and it didn't work either. There is a chance that I have it in the wrong spot, so I will do a bit more research and try it again.

Thanks for the efforts so far guys, must admit it is a great community to be a part of, especially when our developers have left us high n dry.

Chris

Nov 22, 2012 @ 23:23
    Arie

Couple of questions:

• Umbraco version?
    • IIS version? (looks like you're running on 7.0)
    • .NET version (App Pool)? (should be 4.0)
    • Is the App Pool running in Integrated Pipeline mode or in Classic mode? (if I'm not mistaken Integrated Pipeline mode is required for umbracoUseDirectoryUrls
    Nov 22, 2012 @ 23:55
    Chris Buckland

umbraco v 4.7.2 (Assembly version: 1.0.4500.21031)

- The IIS Version is 7.0.6000.16386
    - .Net version(App Pool) is ASP.NET 4 classic
    Application is running on ASP.NET 4 Classic mode and it can be switched into ASP.NET 4 Integrated pipe line

I would like to upgrade Umbraco to V5 but we probably don't have the need as most things are working well for us, and I wouldn't know the first thing about it.

Nov 22, 2012 @ 23:56
    Chris Buckland

umbraco v 4.7.2 (Assembly version: 1.0.4500.21031)

- The IIS Version is 7.0.6000.16386
    - .Net version(App Pool) is ASP.NET 4 classic
    Application is running on ASP.NET 4 Classic mode and it can be switched into ASP.NET 4 Integrated pipe line

I would like to upgrade Umbraco to V5 but we probably don't have the need as most things are working well for us, and I wouldn't know the first thing about it.

Nov 23, 2012 @ 00:17
    Arie

You'll want to switch to Integrated Pipeline mode. There's a good chance that umbracoUseDirectoryUrls will then start working.

Regarding Umbraco v5, you'll want to skip that as it's been deprecated. There was an announcement at this year's CodeGarden event that it would be abandoned immediately, as it had become too heavy.

Here's the current roadmap: http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/roadmap.aspx

You may want to consider upgrading to 4.10. MVC and Razor are now fully integrated and you may find Razor much easier to work with than XSLT (although I believe Razor was already supported in 4.7).

Nov 23, 2012 @ 02:44
    Chris Buckland

Thanks for the advice Arie.

Goes without saying that I will backup the current config, but is it easy to upgrade Umbraco or is there a fair bit of technical work in scripts etc?

I guess I don't want to lose the current configs etc is all.

Nov 23, 2012 @ 05:04
    Arie

When I make a backup I find that backing up the entire root folder is the easiest.

Backing up the App Pool config is a bit tricky, and probably not really necessary since you can change the config back very easily. I usually take screen captures (Greenshot is what I used, set to auto-save screen captures to the hard drive) so I'll know exactly what I changed (and to prove to my boss that I didn't do anything out of the ordinary in case things go south...).

I'd take it one step at a time, though: first change the App Pool to Integrated Pipeline and see what happens.

Upgrading to v.4.10 is easy enough - there's a good write-up on this on the Umbraco site. Essentially, you'll copy a number of files into some folders (4 in all, I think) and change some settings in a few config files. In my case it was pretty straightforward - with the exception of a missing Microsoft.Web.Mvc.dll in the bin. You'll want to make sure it's in the ZIP-file before you start. If not, you'll want to locate that one first and copy it to the bin-folder. When I upgraded to 4.10 I used the beta-version and that file was not part of the package. The guys at HQ assumed that it's already installed, but that's not necessarily the case.

If the upgrade fails just revert to your backup.

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Nov 23, 2012 @ 10:28
    Fergus Davidson

Hi Chris

i think Tom is right, add the "umbracoUrlAlias" property as a textstring to the 'toukley-centre.aspx' page's Document Type. when you edit the page,, you should then be able to add the shortcut url into that field [in fact you could add more than one] i.e. 'toukley' - note no leading slash or trailing '.aspx.

this will mean that entering the url  www.lutanda.com.au/toukley.aspx will go to that page.

to remove the need for the '.aspx' extension, you will need to have directory URLs working. i'm afraid i cant suggest anything to get this working other than what has been said above:

switch to integrated pipeline on the app pool

the only other thing is that sometimes [perhaps restricted to IIS 6] you need to set up wildcard mapping before the directory URLs will work.

once Directory URLs are working, then the url 'www.lutanda.com.au/toukley' will go direct to the required page.

• Enkosi 11 posts 86 karma points
    Jan 14, 2017 @ 20:05
    Enkosi

I know this is way too late however for anyone that may come across this here is what you can do.

In the Document Type of your node simply add umbracoInternalRedirectId as a property and make the data type a Content Picker.

• nehakakar 14 posts 84 karma points
    Jul 11, 2023 @ 09:49
    nehakakar
    Redirect 301 /toukley http://www.lutanda.com.au/our-centres/toukley-centre.aspx

Save this on your .htaccess file and verify your url on this tool Redirectchecker.com for more information about url redirection cahin details.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft