Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John Moss 14 posts 94 karma points
    May 10, 2018 @ 20:31
    John Moss

Archetype to Nested Content migration?

Helllo, we have built a number of sites using Archetypes, and now that it is sunset, as we upgrade and maintain these sites over time -- is there a good solution for migrating Archetypes to Nested Content? How long will Archetypes be supported?

May 17, 2018 @ 16:33
    John Moss

Hello, any thoughts on this?

Has anyone else had to migrate from archetype to nested content?

• Wojciech 4 posts 74 karma points
    May 30, 2018 @ 12:32
    Wojciech

I also will be very interested in to receive any info in this matter

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 30, 2018 @ 13:09
    Nik

Hi Wojciech and John,

In theory, as long as nothing fundamental breaks Archetype in an Umbraco upgrade it will continue to work. However, it is always wise to look at moving away from it. Even if you do this in gradual stages.

The problem is, there is no straight forward way to migrate from ArcheType to Nested Content. This is because your ArcheType structures could be different from mine, or from someone else's (well they almost certainly will be).

Effectively you are you to have to write your own conversion routines that take the ArcheType data and populate new NestedContent properties on your documents. This is a tedious thing to have to do, but as of yet I haven't found an easy way to go about it.

It is a routine you are only going to need to run once, as a result I've seen a couple of people implementing their conversions in a single template file. They run the page with different parameters to determine if it's a test conversion or a live one (the test reports any issues but doesn't save the conversion).

Sorry I can't give a more targeted answer, but each conversion is going to be unique.

Nik

Jun 25, 2018 @ 18:34
    John Moss

Thanks Nik

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft