Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at


  • George P 4 posts 84 karma points
    15 days ago
    George P
    0

    Can't log in to upgrade umbraco 7.2.1 to 7.10.4

    I am trying to upgrade an Umbraco website from version 7.2.1 to version 7.10.4. I am doing this manually (not via Nuget).

    I copied all the files and carefully merged all the config files.

    Then I start up my website as usual and see the login screen, before the update itself took place, need to log in to start it. I typed the admin username and password and Umbraco refuses to let me log in. I have been looking through a similar forum post and I will list the things that I tried already and didn't work:

    1. Tried using email as the username. There is a setting in \config\umbracoSettings.config called usernameIsEmail. It looks like this <usernameIsEmail>true</usernameIsEmail>. Regardless if it's true or false, both username and email attempts to login fail.

    2. Cleared cache and cookies, tried different browsers, incognito mode - doesn't work

    3. Checked the umbracoUser table in the database. userDisabled and userNoConsole are set to 0 for the administrator account.

    4. Emptied the table icUrlTracker in the database to avoid redirect issues.

    5. Commented out all of url rewrite module rules in web.confog to avoid redirect issues.

    6. The following line in the web.config

      add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.MembersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="10" useLegacyEncoding="false" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="Member" passwordFormat="Hashed" allowManuallyChangingPassword="false" />

    contained useLegacyEncoding="true" before the update. I tried setting both true and false values, still can't log in.

    Any ideas how to solve this issue or what might be causing it?

  • Ismail Mayat 4105 posts 8495 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    15 days ago
    Ismail Mayat
    100

    George,

    I recently did upgrade from 7.2.8 to 7.10.4. The thing i found was you cannot go directly. I have some missing table issues. I had to do it via a couple of steps see this post https://our.umbraco.org/forum/extending-umbraco-and-using-the-api/91540-upgrade-issues

    Make sure useLegacyEncoding="true" is set.

    Regards

    Ismail

  • George P 4 posts 84 karma points
    5 days ago
    George P
    0

    Thanks Ismail!

    It seems your approach is correct. Get multiple umbraco versions between the source and destination, copy the <membership> tag and the database connection string from the source web.config to each of them, set up a website to run on each of the folders, run each one in order to upgrade the database and finally run your destination site that has been prepared by merging with the target version.

    When preparing the web.configs, don't forget to also change umbracoSettings.config -> <usernameIsEmail>false</usernameIsEmail> for versions 7.7 and above (if you want to avoid using email as login).

    I tried 12 various different umbraco versions from 7.2.1 to 7.10.4 It seems that incremental versions are not important (f. ex. 7.3.1 not beneficial over 7.3 in this process)

    I ended up using versions 7.3 , 7.4, 7.6, 7.7, 7.8, 7.9, 7.10 and then finally 7.10.4 on my production site. Most important version is 7.6 or 7.7, because there was some sort of change with users or authentication there, you could probably skip most of the other versions. There were a couple of SQL problems in the first and last update, had to run SQL to remove a few indexes and constraints.

    For some reason, none of my xslt macros can run after this update, but I will make another thread to ask about this if I can't solve it by myself.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft