Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jon 18 posts 128 karma points
    May 02, 2018 @ 11:37
    Jon

Document Type Property changes lost on app pool restart

Hi There,

Version 7.5.11.

I am having a very weird issue when editing a document type and adding/removing or editing any properties in a production environment. Note this isn't happening in the development environment.

All changes will be reverted back when the app pool is restarted. I find it very odd as I can see the properties in the db, but as soon as the app pool is restarted they're gone.

The only consistency is this error in the iis logs when the site is restarted:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at StackExchange.Profiling.MiniProfiler.StopImpl()
       at StackExchange.Profiling.BaseProfilerProvider.StopProfiler(MiniProfiler profiler)
       at StackExchange.Profiling.WebRequestProfilerProvider.Stop(Boolean discardResults)
       at Umbraco.Web.Profiling.WebProfiler.UmbracoApplicationEndRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Has anyone come accross this before?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I believe the above to be a red herring as the last time I didn't see this error. Note in order to force a app pool restart in my production environment I am deploying the latest build which includes overwriting configs etc but doesn't touch the db where properties are stored.

Edit2: I managed to persuade one of the dev ops guys to let me stop and start the app pool without deploying and I can confirm it removes the newly added properties.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    May 02, 2018 @ 14:04
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Jon,

This sounds like a permission issue on /App_Data/umbraco.config file

Can you go in to the developer section in Umbraco and go to the Health checks dashboard. There is a check for permissions.

Can you please run that and see if everything is okay ?

Dave

May 02, 2018 @ 14:49
    Jon

Thanks Dave,

That was my first thought, I've checked and permissions are green!

I've got a bit of a theory that it might be an issue with a plugin installed called uSync. I think there are changes on disk that get pushed to live as part of our team city deployment. The settings in live look like an import is made on a website startup (including app pool restart) that may be overwriting any db changes that have been made!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

Jon

May 02, 2018 @ 14:52
    Dave Woestenborghs

Are you using uSync Content edition ? Than that could be the case. I think there will be a setting that it imports on startup

Dave

May 02, 2018 @ 14:54
    Jon

Not sure if you replied to my comment or just fluke that you replied at the same time but yes looks like it. Waiting for dev ops to restart the site for me, I'll let you know!

May 02, 2018 @ 15:23
    Jon

Yes that fixed it! So uSync was overwriting my live db with dev document types etc that incidently are refreshed from live every night. I think uSync has gotten itself into a muddle.

Whats the best way to hard reset uSync? Empty the action config file?

May 02, 2018 @ 15:36
    Dave Woestenborghs

Probably it's best to raise an issue on the uSync package forums : https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/usync/

Dave

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft