Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• philw 99 posts 434 karma points
    Apr 23, 2018 @ 20:19
    philw

Updating from 7.6.1 bun fight

I tried to update from 7.6.1, perhaps my 10th manual Umbraco update. All done "manually" on my test machines for reasons not relevant here.

This one failed, with "bad request 400" errors which I tried to fix following about a dozen posts I read here. I tried migrating to various different versions of Umbraco (the joys of having everything backed up...) and nothing worked.

Eventually I tried the next incremental version 7.6.4 and with some hassle I managed to get that to upgrade. 7.6.4 seems stable, but I want to get up to date, I don't want to stop here.

I have two issues which I hope someone can help. Assume I've read everything here and tried every combination of stuff, but nothing's working.

(1) I'd like to migrate from 7.6.4 -> 7.10.3 When I do that, and kick the server into life, I get a big old error 500 in the client on /umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Authentication/PostLogin {"Message":"An error has occurred.","ExceptionMessage":"Value cannot be null.\r\nParameter name: rawPasswordValue","ExceptionType":"System.ArgumentNullException","StackTrace":" at Umbraco.Core.Models.Membership.User..ctor(Int32 id, String name, String email, String username, String rawPasswordValue, IEnumerable`1 userGroups, Int32[] startContentIds, Int32[] startMediaIds)\r\n at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Factories.UserFactory.BuildEntity(UserDto dto)\r\n at ...... And in the log file I see a bunch of not obviously broken stuff, but it does say: Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager - Umbraco 7.10.3 application starting...

Which suggests it thinks it's been upgraded, although I did not see the Umbraco "we're upgrading your system" screen.

Any ideas? What is that all about - rawPassword?

(2) Note that this has "use legacy encoding" set to true. That's because I've been using Umbraco so long. I don't care about the encoding, I'd love to dump the legacy stuff and I don't care if I break users to do it. If I set the thing to false (yay, let's move forward!), how to I get back into my system? Just write a new password into the user's table (with suitable encoding)? I can do that already with the current "encoding" - how do I get out of this legacy trap which is making these upgrades harder than I need.

thanks for any help..

Apr 24, 2018 @ 17:02
    philw

I tried the 7.6.4 to 7.7.2 (the next build I can find) and that fails with a 500 error during the update authorization on rawPassword again.

Eventually I figured that I could simplify my problem if I got rid of that "legacy encoding" complexity. So I restored to 7.6.4, then switched the "legacy encoding" off, then asked for a password reset... and that seems ok. I backed that lot up (7.6.4 without legacy stuff) as a new high water mark.

I'm not sure what else to try - I've been through all the threads here which mention these words and nothing looks too good.

1. I don't need to authorize my upgrade, it's on a test machine, I control the metal. Is there anyway I can force an upgrade without being "authorized" to get around this?
    2. I guess I could try installing a clean/empty 7.7.2, then dump the schema and compare it with the same from 7.6.4 - presumably something is missing from my schema? Does anyone know where the "migrations" are?
  • Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 25, 2018 @ 07:00
    Paul Seal

Have you tried logging into Umbraco before you run the upgrade?

Apr 25, 2018 @ 07:44
    philw

(thanks) Yes, I can log in 100%.

I managed to get it to upgrade to 7.6.4 and then I switched that to "none legacy" hashing, reset my password, and backed it all up again.

Hence my starting point for the latest "rawPassword" failures is a clean (albeit upgraded about 20 times over the years) 7.6.4 system with non-legacy hashing and a login which works.

The login is failing because (I think) it's passing "password" as the parameter in the post, not "rawPassword", but that's not some piece of code I have access to in the standard download, and I think it's a red herring because something really bad is happening to my install or everyone would have this issue.

Apr 26, 2018 @ 07:20
    philw

I'm giving up on this. It looks like the only way to do it is to install a fresh "latest version" system and then move code across from the old system a piece at a time, then essentially rebuild the content from scratch. That's bad, but I seem to have no other choice.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft