Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Newbraco 41 posts 164 karma points
    Apr 11, 2018 @ 14:48
    Newbraco

Backoffice login gives blank page or "session timed out"-error

I have a very basic Umbraco page at localhost. Now I cant get into my backoffice :/. I only get either a blank page instead of backoffice or just the error message below "Session timed out" when I try to login.

enter image description here

When looking in App_Data\Logs[computername].txt I see something that indicated troublewith the database (see below). I have no trouble connecting to the DB with sql server management studio

2018-04-11 16:30:35,774 [P8876/D2/T1] ERROR Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager - An error occurred running OnApplicationStarted for handler Umbraco.Web.BatchedDatabaseServerMessengerStartup
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Execution Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniError(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniSyncOverAsync()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.TryReadNetworkPacket()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.TryPrepareBuffer()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.TryReadByte(Byte& value)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at  
    Error Number:-2,State:0,Class:11

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 13, 2018 @ 03:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi there

are you by any chance running Umbraco 7.10.0? If so the issue you're seeing is probably caused by this bug http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-11164 - The fix is to upgrade to the latest release of Umbraco in this case,

Hope this helps :)

/Jan

Apr 16, 2018 @ 15:06
    Newbraco

Hi Had 7.92, updated to latest. The only difference it made was that the error message does not show up anymore. I still cant log in though ;/

Apr 16, 2018 @ 15:22
    Newbraco

...I must emphasize that i works on my azure site, that uses the same (Umbraco) database

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Apr 16, 2018 @ 15:44
    Dave Woestenborghs

Maybe that is the issue ? Maybe the Azure db does not allow you to connect to it from outside Azure.

Also I would strongly disadvice to connect to a live database from a development machine. For several reasons :

• Because two websites are connecting to the same database Umbraco will start acting as loadbalanced environment
    • Any changes you make in the Umbraco backend are immediatly effective on your live site, potentially breaking your website

Dave

Apr 18, 2018 @ 13:26
    Newbraco

That is correct, you have to register your (calling) IP in the firewall settings on Azure, but that is done and I can connect to it with SQL Mgmt Studio. I have had it working without any fuzz before, so I suspected that I have gotten a new IP, but this is not the case

I noticed now (after the upgrade probably) that the page Im beeing redirected to is:

http://localhost:53454/umbraco/AuthorizeUpgrade?redir=%2finstall%2f%3fredir%3dtrue%26url%3d

Moreover, now I cant get into my "public" pages either ;o(

As for the sharing of the DB between both sites. I use them both as my dev sites, so no prod env is involved.

Apr 19, 2018 @ 13:00
    Newbraco

This problem occurs in FF but not in Chrome.

o problem solved, for me at least

• Mark Hone 1 post 71 karma points
    Aug 15, 2018 @ 15:08
    Mark Hone

As a workaround, that worked well for me - thanks!

• Mark 6 posts 74 karma points
    Nov 13, 2019 @ 17:02
    Mark

I had this problem and I found that in addition to using a different browser, Chrome Incognito mode also worked as a work around for me.

Still not sure of the root cause in my case.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft