Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Harran 16 posts 72 karma points
    Apr 06, 2018 @ 16:08
    Martin Harran

Multiple Warnings in Visual Studio 2017

I have set up Umbraco in Visual Studio using the excellent tutorial by Paul Griffiths http://www.paulrgriffiths.co.uk/blog/installing-umbraco-7-part-1-setting-up-visual-studio/

My project is running fine, I have uploaded it to a web server and have no issues with it.

I'm just concerned about VS showing 50 warnings - I've attached an image showing the first page of them. I notice that a lot of the warnings are duplicated - the highlighted ones, for example, are all the same: TS6053 (JS) File '/umbraco_client/Application/NamespaceManager.js' not found.

How can I get rid of these warnings - I don't like simply ignoring them

Partial List of Warnings

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 07, 2018 @ 07:49
    Sebastiaan Janssen

These shouldn't be included in the solution.

You know that step in the blog post where is said to include hidden files into the solution? Don't do that :-)

These files have been made for inclusion with Umbraco, they should not be altered by anyone other than Umbraco and therefore they shouldn't be included in the solution.

• David A 7 posts 53 karma points
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 10:59
    David A

Hi Sebastiaan,

I got exactly the same problem in my VS solution. I talked to the excellent Umbraco Cloud support and they recommended me to post here.

I can't find any way to exclude these folders from my project. I also tried hiding the physical folder (/umbraco_client) in Explorer to no avail.

Do you have any more specific tips to get rid of these warnings?

enter image description here

Apr 19, 2018 @ 11:25
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You can exclude it like this

• David A 7 posts 53 karma points
    Apr 19, 2018 @ 11:48
    David A

I don't have that many options when I right click the folder.

I'm in VS 2017 and this is happening on a fresh install through UAAS.cmd where the code was pulled from my Cloud-project, which seems to working fine.

Apr 19, 2018 @ 11:50
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You're using a website project, instead of a web application project. You need to set the properties of it so that it does not build the website project. It should not be built at all.

Apr 07, 2018 @ 10:56
    Martin Harran

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense! I am not interested in modifying Umbraco itself, just building projects on it, so I have excluded all folders except CSS, Scripts and Views which are the only ones I am likely to want to modify files and my projects still run perfectly but without the error warnings :)

Apr 07, 2018 @ 10:57
    Martin Harran

Just to add that I have commented about this on the tutorial.

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Apr 07, 2018 @ 12:00
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Martin/Sebastiaan

Thank you for your comments, both here and my website :)

Based on your feedback I have now removed step 13 and added the note from Sebastiaan.

As i added in my polite notice (below), this blog was put together in 2015 and at the time i was still very new to Umbraco and learning how to install the product myself (i'm still learning).

Over the years during install i have faced many hurdles but the people in the community have been really helpful which has eventually led to me getting up and running. The blog posts that i wrote was just an attempt to potentially help people who may have faced similar problems as me get up and running. In general, the feedback i have received via comments and email suggests that the blog has really helped new starters so that's good news :).

II cant stress enough for the people reading and following along that if something does not seem right or something can be improved then please get in touch and i will happily remove/update where necessary. The aim here is to be a helpful as possible.

Good luck with your project Martin.

Thanks Paul

Apr 07, 2018 @ 12:18
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Not to worry Paul. You live, you learn 😊
    Great job at writing it all up!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft