Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shola 65 posts 273 karma points
    Apr 04, 2018 @ 16:18
    Shola

Advantages of Multi Url Picker over Related Links?

Hello, I was wondering if there were any functional advantages of the Multi Url Picker ( https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/multi-url-picker/ ) over the built-in RelatedLinks2 datatype ( https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Backoffice/Property-Editors/Built-in-Property-Editors/Related-Links2 ). Currently using Umbraco 7.7.9.

Thanks!

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Apr 04, 2018 @ 16:56
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

RJP has things like setting Max Links, Min Links, and QueryString parameters. ( so you can use it a single URL picker)

Bare in mind, RelatedLinks2 is a CORE datatype, so, it's potentially less of a worry when it comes to "upgrades" etc, and potentially "less hassle" when working with Umbraco Cloud, and Courier. Umbraco HQ would be responsible for maintaining a certain level of "compatibility and upkeep"

The RJP datatype, I do find to be more inuative and "slick". So it's pretty much down to a personal choice. And in fairness, does work fine with Umbraco Cloud (for the moment).

I've often wondered why the RJP Picker hasn't been included into the core, as it's really one of best/useful datatypes I tend to install.

• Shola 65 posts 273 karma points
    Apr 04, 2018 @ 17:39
    Shola

Thanks for the response! So my thoughts are:

• RelatedLinks2 has Max Links (but not Min Links)
    • For this application, I almost certainly won't need to add query string vars to a content picker via the UI
    • I will likely need to err on the side of caution and use a built-in property editor when possible.
    • Both datatypes allow internal pickers and external URLs, which is my immediate need.

I do like the way RJP's looks visually, but given the above, it seems that the only functional advantage for my case would be Min Links (which I also don't have a need to enforce right now)?

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Apr 04, 2018 @ 17:50
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

My personal stance is to always pick a CORE datatype, where you can. The less 3rd party stuff you have hanging off your project the better, especially if you're going to be doing continual upgrades, and branch migrations. Just makes things nice and simple.

Umbraco does a LOT, without having to resort to installing a plugin, which has a heap of "code" you've not written yourself, or will suddenly then "break" when you migrate to a new version of Umbraco

RJP is probably one of the "rare" beasts, that I would (and do) install on a lot of my sites. Mainly because it's well maintained by it's owner/creator, and also the UI is a lot better than RelatedLinksV2. But both, pretty much do exactly the same thing :-)

Good luck!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft