Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Luis Pedro Pereira 13 posts 93 karma points
    Apr 03, 2018 @ 18:21
    Luis Pedro Pereira

Hi all.

I've this UX doubt, that I would like your opinion on which is the best solution.

I've a list of 200 items that needs to be paginated, 10 items per page. Each item/row has it own image and some title and categories. Image is retrieved using ?width=60&height=60, so its really small images in size.

What do you recommend: Should I request a list of new 10 items each time the user changes the page, or should I load all the 200 items, paginate them on loading, and then display the different pages with JS?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 03, 2018 @ 19:57
    Nik

Hi Luis,

You have pros and cons to those two options but generally you want to load the least amount of data in order to get a page to render for performance.

However, saying that, you could look to implement some sort of JS based service worker that, after the first page load, starts grabbing additional pages in the background (subject to the type of connection being used, you might not want this on a mobile network for example). This could then build up a client side cache of pages.

The down side of this, is how should the paging behave if a new document is published for example. Should that appear in page 1 or in your last page?

Also, what sort of use experience do you want? If you are gathering pages by javascript, why load a new page or have "pagination" in its conventional sense, you could have long scrolling auto-loading more data as they go or a "load more results" button that shows the next load of results.

Basically, the best option is more related to your target audience and your desired functionality than it is to the implementation. But based on your two suggestions, I would go with the paged approach rather than the "faked" paged approach as it would have a better longevity with more and more data.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft