Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Mahoney 233 posts 445 karma points
    Feb 01, 2018 @ 00:09
    Chris Mahoney

Media path sometimes changing

Hi everyone,

I'm having an "interesting" problem on an aging 6.2.5 site. We have a PDF file in the Media section which is regularly updated. An example URL for this file is /media/1234/calendar.pdf.

Whenever I'm doing testing and I update this file, I just open the Media section, find the file, click Browse and upload the new calendar.pdf file. When I do this, the URL remains the same.

However, when other editors go in there, the URL often changes! For example, they can upload a new calendar.pdf (ie. same filename) but the URL will change to something like /media/2345/calendar.pdf. This then breaks any external links to the PDF.

I'm trying to figure out why this happens; I've never seen the URL change during my own testing, but it happens frequently when other editors do it (of course, they never warn me that they're about to change it so I can't watch them do it). Does anyone know what could be causing the URL to change?

PS. I can see that the "Created" property is still the original date, so they're not deleting and recreating the media item.

• Chris Mahoney 233 posts 445 karma points
    Feb 01, 2018 @ 00:11
    Chris Mahoney

And come to think of it, perhaps a more pertinent question: Is there a way of setting a "fixed" URL for a media item? We can use "umbracoShortUrl" for content, but is there a way to keep media items consistent?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft