Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Liz 5 posts 75 karma points
    Jan 22, 2018 @ 01:01
    Liz

Null Error When Logging In

Hi Umbraco peeps,

At the place I've started working, they had a website built a few years ago that was never maintained. Unfortunately, for about the last 8 months or so, no one has been able to log in due to receiving an error message (attached a screen shot).

The problem has now been passed to me, though I have no knowledge of Umbraco! I have some basic wordpress knowledge so some stuff is not completely foreign, but definitely still a beginner. I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what the problem is and if it's an easy fix. I tried to do a search for similar issues and found some threads about null errors but nothing that I can link to my exact problem.

We are in the process of moving our information to another platform, however that may take a few months and so in the meantime I would like to try and resolve the problem so we can make some minor content changes in the interim as the very out of date info on the site is causing a whole bunch of problems, lol.

If there is anyone who can help me figure out which exact file to be looking in / what the potential problem is, I would be forever grateful! :-)

enter image description here

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 22, 2018 @ 09:46
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Liz

Can you check connection string to the database?

Please, have a look at web.config file - connectionStrings sections

/Alex

Jan 23, 2018 @ 08:11
    Liz

Hi Alex,

Just checked web.config file and found the connectionStrings section, which has the following:

enter image description here

I'm assuming I need to update the line with relevant information as per the commented line.

I have a database name, a host name, user id and password for the database from the hosting account, I'm just not 100% sure exactly which parts I substitute for name=" ", connectionString=" " and database= or if these are actually default and don't actually change. ...userid and password are obvious.

Hoping this is the problem! Appreciate your help.

Cheers, Liz

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2018 @ 08:24
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Liz

Use this format for connection string:

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="Data Source={{server}};Initial Catalog={{databaseName}};Connection Timeout=300;User ID={{username}};Password={{password}}" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Replace with your credentials

/Alex

Jan 23, 2018 @ 08:44
    Liz

Hi Alex,

I attempted to use what you suggested, and still got the same error message, so unsure if I updated the file with the correct info, or completely different issue. To try and make it easier, here is the line adjusted noting I've just used XXXXXX for the password due to security.

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="Data Source=mssql2008.raafamberleyheritage.gov.au;Initial Catalog=prod_raafamberleyheritage_gov_au;Connection Timeout=300;User ID=prod1014;Password=XXXXXX" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Cheers, Liz.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Jan 22, 2018 @ 10:32
    Steve Morgan

Hi,

I would guess that one of your config files is corrupt / missing / empty - check the /config/applications.config file and possibly the config/trees.config

If you're not sure what you're looking at post the contents here and I'm sure someone can advise.

If you want to try and fix it take a backup and try copying the "default" ones from a new local Umbraco installation (check the version your site is running and get the same one from https://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/

It might also be the umbracoUser2app table - again check what you have in the DB against a local, blank copy of the same version.

Hope that helps

Steve

Jan 23, 2018 @ 07:56
    Liz

Hi Alex and Steve,

thanks heaps for taking the time to respond to my post.

I'm not 100% sure with the info you have given me, but it at least gives me a starting point to investigate further.

It'll probably take me a day or two to look into this, so just wanted to thank you initially and will advise back if I had any luck once I've had a chance to spend some time looking into it a bit further, and go from there.

Cheers, Liz.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Jan 23, 2018 @ 08:30
    Steve Morgan

Having seen your commented out connection string it looks like Alex was on the right lines (he usually is!)! Definitely start there and ignore my comment for now.

Steve

Jan 23, 2018 @ 08:46
    Liz

Thanks Steve, still appreciate your time. :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft